1st Time Making 100% Soy Candles

Yes, it is common for soy candles to look like that:) use a heat-gun or blow-dryier to melt the top layer of the wax, it usually helps . Based on my experience there are a lot of factors that can change the look of the tops - different colors, scents, who knows what - they all can produce different tops, but yes, you probably did everything right and it just is smth that is characteristic of soy wax

Best,

Eva

Hey Stephanie ....... I tried soy before too and they looked just like that. I was so mad at myself till I realized it is the nature of the beast! :undecided Of course I gave up on soy right after that. Let me know how easy it is to get rid of the frosting. tia

Just poured some tins with the same fo from the same supplier, & EZsoy yesterday and mine looked exactly the same. Heat gun didn't really seem to help. I added just a bit of beeswax and it smoothed the tops right up. Worth a try! I don't know if I can wait a couple of days to cure to test, they smelled sooo good.

I LUV SOY!!!!! Don't let that stop you!!! Pouring cooler and adding bw at 2% helps. Don't be surprised if after you burn it, the wax has pits in it or looks funny that's the nature of soy as well.

Some don't color their soy for this and other reasons!

Mmmmmmmmm. Thanks for providing such a fine image of 'frosting.' As I look at it, I find myself wondering if that couldn't be something similar to 'mottling' in paraffin. Not having seen it for myself, I'm guessing frosting might not be as good looking as mottling since so many ppl seem unhappy about it. From afar, they don't look bad.

I think you've got an EXCELLENT shade of purple for Moonlight Path. That color also puts me in mind of lavendar & heather.

Thanks everyone!

Well, I tried the blowdryer and just checked it today and the frosting came back. So next batch of soy I will make, I do the same and see what happens

:D

What I did for the color, for a 1 lb batch, I just added one drop of liquid purple dye.

The tin sizes are 4, 6 & 8 oz from WSP

The cold throw is still strong!

Will test burn them later today!

Also, instead of beeswax, would joywax help with the frosting one the top?

Thank you again!

Stephanie

Pouring cool helps with the finished candle's appearance. I watch for the soy wax to start getting a light "film" around the edges, indicating it's starting to set up. I pour then, just as it's starting to get a bit slushy, and the candles usually look pretty good when they cool.

However, I'm one of those weirdo chandlers who thinks the frosting and rough, rustic texture of soy wax looks cool. :D