FO strength from bottle

Hope

Help! I just rec'd some 1oz FO's I ordered. The open-bottle-and-smell strength wasn't very strong. Quite disappointing. I thought maybe,... it'd be stronger when made into a candle. So far, cold throw is barely noticable. :(

My question... do you expect a strong scent from the bottle? Any exceptions?

When making the first batch of 8 votives (1oz FO/lb. EL votive), the scent wasn't very strong when adding to molted wax. Logically, it seems that the scent would be very strong at that point.

Candle recipe for first batch: heated to 180F, added FO @ 170F, stirred, poured into votive molds @ 150F. Used this recipe for other companies FO, and worked wonderfully.

Any help is appreciated!

Hope

This is a very broad, sweeping generalization. But IN GENERAL, scents that are weak oob aren't very strong in wax. There are exceptions, but I've found that weak oob is USUALLY weak in wax. :(

Strong oob might be strong in wax, and it might not. Just depends on the wax, fo, etc. As the others said, you have to test. :wink2:

Good luck with your candlemaking! It's so fun!

Thank you all!

I'm hoping I don't end up with candle nose: do use mask, ventilate, etc.

Although logically I should wait for the testing results to make a judgement on these FO's. I just have a feeling about them.... :undecided I do appreciate the oob scent suggestions/comments.

I guess it all goes with the territory. Testing, testing, testing.. kinda reminds me of a nice chemistry class. :smiley2: Off to the batcave, or rather the hopecave for more happy candlemaking! :D

Again, thanks everybody!

Hope