100% vegetable or not?

I wanted to know if anyone is familiar with Millcreek waxes. I use their 125 soy. I also tried their pillar blend. The description says it is palm wax with coconut oil and other wax additives. Recently I poured a trial pillar and the first one came out absolutely perfect. Not one imperfection. It was creamy and not mottled or feathered for being a palm wax with additives. It almost looked like it had a paraffin base it was so smooth. I called the company and they wouldn't give out any ingredients they said their supplier won't even discose the ingredients to them. But they swear up and down that it is all vegetable based without any parrifin.

Should I take their word for it? Does anyone else use their products. I tried to find their supplier. Alot of the other candle supply businesses get their wax and products from the same manufacturers and just name them as their own. Millcreek, Bittercreek, Candlescience all get their FO's from the same manufacturer. It happens to be 10 minutes from my house. I tried to find where Millcreek gets their wax to see the true ingredients but had no luck.

It is just like the Naturewax C-3. Everyone sells it as 100% Soy Wax.

It is not. It is a soy/veggie blend.

I do not understand why they just don't tell you this up front??

I had called and spoke to Cargill and they said it was a soy/veggie wax.

85% Soy and 15% other veggie additives.

Below was an article in the soy daily:

NatureWax™ Vegetable-based Candle Wax is Hot Item for Candlemakers

MINNEAPOLIS – Oct. 10, 2002 – With holiday shopping season just around the corner, Cargill is finding a hot market for its new NatureWax™ brand candle waxes made from soy and other vegetable oils.

If you want to read the whole article here is the link:

http://www.thesoydailyclub.com/BiodieselBiobased/cargill10112002.asp

I'm not familiar with Millcreek but if they state that it's 100% vegetable blend then I'm sure it is. I don't blame the manufacture for not giving out the formulation. Alot of name brand products are the same. If you blended palm wax with soy you could probably come up with a smooth pillar. I have mixed it with paraffin and it doesn't look like palm at all.

I think the issue is here for me is I want to make sure there is no petroleum or animal fossilized resources what so ever. I chose soy for natural reasons. If I wanted those elements I would just go straight up parrafin. I can't stand behind a product if I don't know whats in it. I don't want to know the exact amount but I want to know exactly whats in it.

If it was a finished candle I could understand. They wouldn't want someone to copy their artwork. But this is a wax that is chemically altered and then resold. What has this manufacturer to lose? Other than admit that they are hiding something in that blend. They claim also there is no soy in the product.

This strikes me as a non-issue.

The ingredients are proprietary. There's nothing unusual about that. There are many ways to formulate these products, but if you know what ingredients are in it you've narrowed it down to a basic approach and eliminated countless possibilities. Based on common knowledge in the industry, you're more than halfway towards duplicating the product. Nobody gives out the ingredients.

Yeah they could say it's all-veggie and lie. Or they could tell you the ingredients and leave something out. What's the difference?

I tried to find where Millcreek gets their wax to see the true ingredients but had no luck.

MC et al get their soy from Golden Brands out of Louisville, KY. Jason Glaser, their sales manager, is a CT member with the handle of GoldenBrands. If you PM him he may have more information or confirm if it has any paraffin. I haven't tested the pillar blend yet but I don't think it has any paraffin in it.

I understand that wax mfgs don't want to give out (too much) proprietary information, but if you phrase your question trying to find out if a certain ingredient is or is not in the wax, you might get a straight answer.

HTH! geek :grin2: