What to do when a competitor?

allie

I have a problem with a competitor telling some of my customers that I am no longer in business, some have even told me she has used my name when they ask her who she is. How do I stop this? So, do I directly approach her and ask her to stop, or should I ingnore her completely? This has been going on for sometime, and I am fed up. I have a successful business and don't have time to play games, but she won't leave me alone. Please give me some advise, this has to stop!

Allie

Allie

I would take steps by stopping this especially if it is affecting your business.

1st by talking to her and posting an ad in your local paper as stated above.

2nd write a personal journal with all the information of the events that have happened. The date, time etc..

3rd *if it doesn't stop* Retry the approach to her but let her know that if it happens again, she will then force you to take further measures.

At the end after your many attempts of talking, compromisng or running ad's there is a thing that is stated in the law which with proof you can win, it's called defamation.

Here is the meaning of it:

Defamation, sometimes called "defamation of character", is spoken or written words that falsely and negatively reflect on a living person's reputation.

Example:

If a person or the news media says*slander* or writes*libel* something about you that is understood to lower your reputation, or that keeps people from associating with you, defamation has occurred. Slander and libel are two forms of defamation.

You can only use libel if you have any written form from that individual that has caused defamation.

You can use slander for spoken defamation.

But before I would do this, I would take the many steps first of all to reconcile the situation.

OMG!!! That is terrible!!! I would do what Synascents said. After you call her, I would send a follow up letter that is notarized & send it certified so you have some written proof too. Hopefully she will stop but man, that is ridiculous! I would definately mention in your convo & letter that this is defamation and that you could take legal action!!!

Has she actually sold to stores based on the fact she is representing herself as you? I would also call that theft of business income if she has. Maybe you could also collect info from store owners or whoever she has represented herself as you, brochures, letters, etc.

Maybe you could call a lawyer, some offer free consultations, or even if it costs you $100.00 and they could send advise you. Maybe they could even send her a letter and that might deter her.

Collect proof of what she is doing then visit an attorney. The matter could be remedied as simply as an attorney sending her a letter. If not, an attorney can advise and assist you with further legal remedies.

Get a lawyer. It will cost you less to stop this now, than to let it go on. Having an attorney send her a letter on their letterhead will look far more threatening than you sending her a letter. They shouldn't charge you much to do this and it is worth the fee. Also, call and give her your attorney's name and let her know that they wil be contacting her. Bet she won't feel so smug then.

My 1st step would be to write a letter to her and have it notarized. You can talk to her ...... but she can deny it. If you have it in writing and notarized with delivery confirmation ........ she can't deny that. I would then follow Stephanie's plan. Please don't give this competitor the benefit of the doubt. They won't stop ....... and you know if they have gone this far already, you can't take them for their word! CYA ....... that is the most important thing. Sorry this is happening to you. :undecided Remember, we are all here for you. ;)

I would send her a notarized cease and desist letter, and have it sent registered, return receipt requested. Let her know, that it has been brought to your attention, that she has misrepresented herself as you, and that it has been stated that she has told customers of yours that you are no longer in business. I would let her know that you are attempting to rectify this on the business level, but that if she continues to defame you that you will seek legal counsel.