Crazy Candle Questions

I'm toying with the idea of making soy candles and have a few crazy questions for the experts here...

1) In your opinion, what's the best brand of FO to use - I tend to like strong scents?

2) In your opinion, what's the brands to stay away from?

3) I have tons of EO for my shea body butter and through research found that many of them are flammable. Are FO usually flammable? How does that work when it's included in the candle?

OK I through with my crazy questions and off to explore the techniques site fully :)

I tend to buy from companies that test in soy, at least my odds are better the fragrance will work. companies like just by nature, greenleaf, Millcreek, A scent shop, fragrance oil heaven, snowtop, just to name a few.

Thanks bunches KFTS for taking the time to answer my questions. I'll definitely be looking up those companies.

Candle Man - I had no idea soy was considered vegetable wax since I'm completely new to it. I'll check out that area in a few minutes.

There is a sticky posted at the top of this section that people have submitted testing results for, for FO's performance in soy. There are tons of suppliers out there that have great FO's. Also, what works for one person, may not work as well for you. Everyone's nose is different and what someone else likes, you may not. Even if they don't smell great out of the bottle, a lot of times they will smell better once in the wax. Welcome to soy. :D

Well Shirah,

I am by no means an expert ;), but I do like the quality of the FO's from CandleScience and Bittercreek.

As far as using EO's- I know that some people do, but I could not tell you how much to use. I do know that they are much more concentrated.

Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think that all EO's and FO's are flammable, it is that they are at much higher temps than that in which a candle actually burns. One time, out of pure curiosity, I decided to put a meat thermometer in the meltpool, and it read 140.

One place to definitely steer clear of for FO is Gemlite. Don't be fooled by the low prices---most of their scents are awful. At least most of the 25 lbs I bought stunk :embarasse

Stick with the ones mentioned before, like Peaks, Millcreek, Southern Scentsations, Nature's Garden. These are my favorites.

geek

My favs are Millcreek, A Scent Shop (both are AWESOME IMO) and I'm really becoming a fan of Nature's Garden and I like a couple from KY's. I have yet to put my Peak FO's in wax :undecided but luv'em in B&B products :)

Oh another I always forget about is Southern Scentsations, http://www.greatcandle.com/Fragrances.htm they have reviews for soy w/ each scent! I've tried 6 of their FOs and liked each one!