Votive Wax

OK6228 is great for votives. It's a pre-blend, no additives necessary as they are already in it. Nice creamy color retention and it's got excellent scent throw. One draw back is that it shrinks a lot, so multiple repours will be necessary...but you can't beat the throw!

Thanks Fern and FragileXmom for the info. I just don't know what to do with all the astorlite v that I have. I stocked up since I live so far from everything and now I'm not pleased with what I have. What causes a wax to not have a good hot throw? I guess I need to read up on that. Thanks again. Ginger

Sometimes the fo itself may not be of good quality, sometimes the wick may not be hot enough to give good throw...and sometimes it's the wax itself. I've never used the Astorlite V so I really couldn't tell you anything about it. I have used many others and have found it somewhat difficult to get good throw with most of the votives I've made. You really can't expect them to pack as much punch as a tart or container candle. But every once in a while I'll get a scent that just throws for me like crazy. Peak's Hyacinth, NG's Nantucket Briar, SOS' Fresh Comfort...to name a few...throw extra strong in most of my waxes...then others throw moderately or lightly...it really depends on the scent. The only way you're going to discover which combo's work the best is through much testing. I know...it sucks...but we've all got to do it. Hang in there!

Thanks Fern and FragileXmom for the info. I just don't know what to do with all the astorlite v that I have. I stocked up since I live so far from everything and now I'm not pleased with what I have. What causes a wax to not have a good hot throw? I guess I need to read up on that. Thanks again. Ginger

Ginger, where bouts in Arkansas are you? I'm in NE Texas & would love some of that astro v if not too far from me. I use it only for icing my bundt cakes!

PamR

I use oils from SNC and also Aztec. My wicks are good quality. I usually use 1.5 oz. oil pp. They have great cold throw but while burning, I just think there should be more. I'll just keep trying.

Try using less FO. Sometimes too much will hurt versus help your throw.

If you really don't like it for votives, you can use it for tarts only or try to sell it on here.

I ahve used both 4794 and 6228 for votive waxes. I much prefer 4794. The 6228 sunk a lot for me, even on a second pour. I tried all pour temps and went through almost 4 cases of this stuff before going back to 4794. I think that the 4794 is easier to work with and has a great scent throw. It's also pretty easy to wick.

If you were going to add container wax, how much would you had per pound? I am currently using J223. I have never made tarts; guess I'll have to give them a try. They are basically a wickless votive in a decorative shape, right? Same mixing procedure, just pour into a tart mold? Thanks for all the advice. Ginger

If you were going to add container wax, how much would you had per pound? I am currently using J223. I have never made tarts; guess I'll have to give them a try. They are basically a wickless votive in a decorative shape, right? Same mixing procedure, just pour into a tart mold? Thanks for all the advice. Ginger

Try a 75/25 mix first - 75% votive wax to 25% container.

Tarts are just wickless candles in a cute shape. You can use a muffin pan, if you don't have tart molds. Just mix the wax exactly the way you would to make votives, then pour into your mold. They are very easy to do. :)

Guest ShellyRobyn

I tried Astro V but didn't care for it and now use 4794. I throw in a small chunk of the V with the 4794 just to use it up.