First chunk

Yes, I'm seeing jump lines, so you might have poured hotter or preheated -- however, that might have melted your chunks! When I do chunk votives and pillars, I don't like to pour the overpour too hot, otherwise the chunks may melt a bit.

I think your candles look good! ;-D

I used IGI 4794 for the overpour and IGI 4625(pillarwax) to make the chunks.

Though now of course when I'am finished I find out that I should have used the same wax for both.

I did heat my molds in the oven for a few, but did alot more waiting than expected for the wax to cool, I waited till a slight skim formed till pouring, but by then the molds were probably to cool for it to do any good.

I do like the jump lines though, just gives it more of a rustic type look IMO.. just wanted the chunks to show through better....

I've got another set almost ready to pull out of the mold, and results will more than likely show that the jump rings are gone, since I poured hotter.

Thanks

pix

I do like the jump lines though, just gives it more of a rustic type look IMO.. just wanted the chunks to show through better....

pix

I agree! The lines look cool! Sometimes what we chandlers consider "flaws" look great to non-chandlers.

To get the chunks to show up more on the bottom, I fill the votive cups with chunks and tap down on the mold so they sort of "cram" together more, know what I mean? Then I add more chunks; I really fill those babies to the max. Then there's hardly any overpour -- the mold is filled mostly with chunks. LOL

ETA: Here's a pic of the results. P.S. No, you're not seeing things -- these hadn't been wicked yet because I use wick pins on my chunk votives. LOL

votives005.jpg

Wow, I think yours are cute pixie, and I also like how you get so many chunks in yours Crafty1. Im completely inspired to try out some chunks now! Curious if you guys fills the votive cups with chunks then pour the melted wax over the chunks? Damn, those are too cute for votives

And you guys even make your own slabs for chunks????

Pulled the hotter poured ones out of the mold, and yep, the rings are gone. Seems that the heat of the pour melted my chunks some too, instead of the nice white as in the other pic, these are more a very pale peach type color.

Crafty, I LOVE your's.. I use the wick pins too,LOL.. think the next time, I will add more chunks till I just cant fit anymore in, and hopefully that will have me not waiting for it to cool a bit and adding the top chunks how I want them, LOL.

Sooo Crafty, how do you get your white to stay white, any tips? Though I do think I will play around with different pouring temps, and see how that goes.

Victoria, Thats what I did.. just poured the wax over the chunks. The chunks were easy to make though, I read the tutorial peice under instructions for the chunk candles

http://www.candletech.com/chunkcandles/

pix

P.S. I confess, I already burned 1 all the way down to nuffin, my kitchen smell of Frosted Carrot Cake now!

carrot2.jpg

See what I mean? There's a fine line between eliminating jump lines and melting your chunks with the overpour! LOL However, I think that your second batch looks cool too -- that is a nice effect (having some of the color blend into the overpour). ;-) To keep my overpour white, I had to do as you're doing -- experiment with pouring temps until I found that delicate balance between jump lines and melting the chunks. You could always pour cool to keep the overpour white, and then zap the finished candles with a heat gun to wipe out the jump lines maybe? (Haven't tried that -- just a suggestion.) Or just learn to embrace the lines. LOL

Mmmmm....Frosted Carrot Cake? Thanks a lot, Pixie ... now you have me craving one of your candles here! LOL BTW, mine pictured here are scented berries & cream ... meaning the chunks were scented in a berry scent, and the overpour is a creamy vanilla.

Yes, Victoria, I make my own chunks too. It's a great way to use up leftover wax scraps. I make them on a jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with edges).