Question anout Castille (Disaster Averted?)

heather_dw

I was going to make some castille soap, inspired by a friend with very sensitive skin.

Do i just do 100% olive? I was sure it was 90% Olive and 10% something else but for the life of me, i cannot remember what that 10% was?

PKO, i've also done 100% OO

Yeah, i went ahead and made a 2lb batch.. 90% Olive and 10% castor. I don't know what happened... the top has a skin and underneath it is all gel/goo?

Ugh, i really did not want to waste all that olive oil. I have no idea what went wrong?

I have a dislike/hate relationship with castille. I like that it is so easy to make (oil, water, lye), but don't like that it is so dang soft for so long and does not make a fufilling bar, IMO. I do like it for a shampoo bar, though.

I have a castille that I made... oh 2 years ago and it is FINALLY hard to my liking. LOL.

I do all olive, full water, and have never had a batch of castille not get hard within 24 hrs. I get mine to a super thick trace, before I pour, maybe that has something to do with it. Though, literally they would break my window.. if I were so inclinded to test it.

I have made a bunch of OO batches at 100% oo...and I do a water discount! But!! I think that I also pour at a very thick trace and this also helps...My bars are hard as rocks with in 3 days..

they are soft (not Mushy)when i take them out ..but in the air they get very hard very fast!!!

Thanks Grannyscandles for the info!

I think the crisis has been averted. It finally firmed up enough to unmold and I let it sit the rest of the night. Late last night I could actually cut it. It was still soft. I think it's going to be okay. Right now they just look like normal soap slices, just a bit softer than usual.

They are a light yellow color, I have no idea why I thought they would be a translucent like yellow..LOL

:laugh2: