Testing and Room Size

One of my testers asked an interesting question which I do not believe there is a definitive answer to. She wanted to know if there was a standard room size in which to test various size candles? I told her that I did not believe there was one. During our conversation I told that I would throw it out here. Throw.

I'm wondering however, after we spoke, should you compare various size candles in the same room when rating their hot throw for example? Should a 4/8/16 and votive be judged in the same room? Or would you test a votive or 4 ounce in say a bedroom and a 8 or 16 ounce in a larger family room. A hot throw rating of 8 for a 4 oz in the bedroom is equal to a 16 oz 8 rating in the family room.

Any thoughts?

I've been wondering about this too. I'm testing the 4 oz tins and noticed I can't get a good hot throw in any room except the bathroom. I think my problem may be the 8 foot ceilings throughout the house, they add 10% more square footage to a room. We also have an open floor plan wihich makes it even more difficult as well.

Anyone else have any imput on room size vs. hot throw of same size candle?

Sami

I think that a votive should not be expected to scent your huge living/dining room/kitchen combo, etc . . . So, I test mine where they would be most effective. Votives are tested in my guest bathroom with the door partially closed. 4/8/12 ounce jars are tested in our master bedroom. I close the door at first, then open to sniff after a few hours. Then leave doors open for remainder of the burn. Larger candles are tested in my dining room or kitchen (they are really connected). I also know how my house works now, as far as as scenting. If I burn a candle in the kitchen, the scent will waft through the dining room up the stairs, but not down hall towards the front door. Burning a candle in the master bedroom means that the scent will go into the master bath and down the hall towards my office, but it doesn't really flow down the stairs at all. This really helps me guage the strength of my throw.

Well I only make one size candle, I also have an open concept home with very high ceilings.(35-40ft high) I place it in the Great room and give it a time that the scent has to waft up to me in the loft. I increase or decrease that time depending on the strength of the scent. A heavy scent like my fresh linen has 45 minutes. al ittler scent likeGreen Clover and Aloe will have 1 hour or so. If the scent has reached me upstaires, it's also wafted into the kitchen and dining area too. In other words, it's filled the whole house except the bathroom.

When my testers test candles, they have to give the dememtion of the room on the worksheet. Sometimes they will say the scent is too strong. When I llok at the work sheet and note that they tested in a small bedroom instead of a living room I understand the comment. They tested in a room that was too small for the scent throw andd it over powered them.:tongue2:

I often will go to a tester home or apartment and make a suggestion where to test the candles depending on the scent.