metro jars

I am thinking of ordering and starting a line with the metro (status) jars, but I have read posts on this board from people saying these jars have broken on them when putting the lid back on.

Is there a problem with these jars doing this a lot? I don't even want to think about this happening to a customer and don't want to waste my money on a product that is just not going to work.

I know they are carried at candles and supplies and the jar store and libbey.. I will probably be getting them from either libbey or the jar store.

I really love the look of the jar and want to use them..but it is just not worth it if this is a problem.

thanks guys!

As I've stated before, I've had the same tester jars (about 6 of them) that I've tested over, and over again for the last six months without an issue. When they are about empty, I clean them out, toss them in the dishwasher and repour another tester. I put the lids on them and I take the lid off and I haven't lost a single jar yet.

It's your call, you'll have to test whatever jar you get reguardless, and you'll be able to judge what you want and do not want to use.

thanks grumpy girl... I just posted the question cause I had been researching in this forum before getting them and saw that some people had had this problem... I thought If I posed the question maybe I could find out how many had had the problem vs. how many had not.

I know you are right, I will just have to test test test... and that is fine.. I guess I will just order a single case to start and see how that goes.

thanks so much for your response.

Here is the deal. The status/metro jars are available from Libbey AND they are available from China. Guess which one is the best quality? It is one of those things....you get what you pay for. If you are looking for the better quality, go with the Libbey glass. If you are wanting the same look without the quality, go for the imports from China.There IS a difference.

JMHO

Michael

Here is the deal. The status/metro jars are available from Libbey AND they are available from China. Guess which one is the best quality? It is one of those things....you get what you pay for. If you are looking for the better quality, go with the Libbey glass. If you are wanting the same look without the quality, go for the imports from China.There IS a difference.
I totally agree with that. I have some of the Libby 12.5oz status jars lying around and they are beautiful. You can't beat the quality. Thing is, I'll probably end up using the imports. Not only are the Libby status jars expensive and seemingly hard to get a hold of, but they are super HEAVY. If you have to get them shipped to you it costs a lot. Plus if you plan to ship candles made with them it costs the customer a lot. I'm kinda sorta convinced the Chinese jars are better for the purpose even if they aren't as nice.

I totally agree with that. I have some of the Libby 12.5oz status jars lying around and they are beautiful. You can't beat the quality. Thing is, I'll probably end up using the imports. Not only are the Libby status jars expensive and seemingly hard to get a hold of, but they are super HEAVY. If you have to get them shipped to you it costs a lot. Plus if you plan to ship candles made with them it costs the customer a lot. I'm kinda sorta convinced the Chinese jars are better for the purpose even if they aren't as nice.

That is my thinking too, Top. I love the metro jars but can't afford the high shipping on the ones from "Libbey". Plus, like you said, the price of the jar is more. I have been toying with the idea of adding these jars to my line for quite some time now and I'm sure I will be using the chinese ones. Not just for the ease of getting them, but also because I can't justify such a "price" to my customers. Yes, they would understand a higher price for a "higher quality/fancier jar, but not the extra $ because they are sooo heavy and shipping be too much. jmo ;)

Some of you might have already checked this out. Libbey's website shows only three outlets in the US. (1) Shreveport, LA (2) Syracuse, NY and

(3) Toledo, OH. For those who live near these areas, it might be worth checking into if you are just planning to sell candles locally & not ship to customers. I don't know their pricing, though.

I ordered a case of 8 oz metro from Canwax which they buy from The Jar Store. The first one that I used for testing broke after 4 test burns. I was trying to get the lid on, big chunk off the side of the jar.....wax all over my counter.

It just seems that these jars (the ones I received) from The Jar Store are awfully thin. The 10oz Apothecary are pretty thin also.....I can't take a chance of this happening to one of my customers.

Saltbox Pantry

I have bought my 12 oz frosted metro jars from FancyCandleJars.com and they have held up nicely (don't seem to thin). The quality is good and the price isn't bad either. I am quite certain he has both the clear and frosted to choose from. Customer service is great too.