scents

The amount of dye will depend on the color you're looking for. Add some dye, stir the wax really well, then drop a little on a tin pan, let it harden and you can see if the color is what you're looking for. For me, playing with the dye is half the fun.

The rule of thumb for FO is 1 oz. per pound of wax. I am no expert and I don't own a scale yet. So I use 2 tablespoons of FO per pound of wax.

HTH and have fun...Patience

Most FO's you will use anywhere between 4-8%, depending on how strong it is. The dye is strictly a personal preference. I know that it takes more color to get dark colors in soy than in paraffin, because it is more opaque. Both of those things are things you have to experiment with and see. Not all of your FO's will you want to use the same % of, some are going to be stronger and you will want to use less and some are weaker and you will want to use more. You get the idea. :D

Patience: No disrespect or anything, but are you getting much throw with 2 tablespoons of FO per lb of wax? That's probably about 1/4 oz, maybe a little more/less measured and can't see how you could get much throw using that little. You could get yourself a small shot glass with oz measures on it for a buck and some change at Wal-Mart or a package store. Although some of the heavier fo's will end up being more than 1 oz by weight, so unless you weighed those you wouldn't be sure of how much you are using. Just thought I'd let you know, in case you weren't aware.:wink2:

Patience: No disrespect or anything, but are you getting much throw with 2 tablespoons of FO per lb of wax? That's probably about 1/4 oz, maybe a little more/less measured and can't see how you could get much throw using that little. You could get yourself a small shot glass with oz measures on it for a buck and some change at Wal-Mart or a package store. Although some of the heavier fo's will end up being more than 1 oz by weight, so unless you weighed those you wouldn't be sure of how much you are using. Just thought I'd let you know, in case you weren't aware.:wink2:

Hey Fern, no disrespect taken. I have been getting a good hot and cold throw. Maybe I've just been getting lucky! I will try your suggestion..the shot glass is a good idea. Thanks!

Patience: I am going to have to agree with Fern. I think you will be very pleased with your candles if you take her advice.

Also, in case you don't know, Walmart is now carrying a "postal scale" in the office section for about $20. That would really help you out with weighing you wax, FO and additives. And it's not that expensive. ;)

Most FO's you will use anywhere between 4-8%, depending on how strong it is. The dye is strictly a personal preference. I know that it takes more color to get dark colors in soy than in paraffin, because it is more opaque. Both of those things are things you have to experiment with and see. Not all of your FO's will you want to use the same % of, some are going to be stronger and you will want to use less and some are weaker and you will want to use more. You get the idea. :D

You're not kidding. Just used some (1 oz) spiced pear from peak that I bought to test. I used it in a 8 lb 6X9.5 candle and you can't hardly be in the same room with it. Stuff has some serious throw to it hot & cold.

1 oz of fragrance per pound of wax (or 6%) is the general guideline to go by. After you do initial testing, you can adjust the amount if need be. I seriously suggest getting a scale to weigh your FO, if you don't already have one. I got mine from Wal-Mart for $20. You need to weigh you wax and FO, so it is a good investment. I also have a spreadsheet that will calculate out odd amounts of FO. So, if I'm using 3.65 ounces of wax, it will tell me how much FO (in ounces or grams) to use. E-mail me if you want a copy. It's really helpful since I hate doing math. HTH :)

The manufacturer of your wax should have guidelines for recommended scent load. Sometimes that info. is posted by the seller of the wax too. Six percent is typical, but some hold much more. And of course, as the others said, it depends on the fo too! Some killer strong ones you can use at half the level you typically use on other fo's. HTH!

We have had this discussion before. Before I got my scale I was using 2 tablespoons PP of wax and it DOES measure out the same on my Digital scale. I have bought a shot glass looking thing that has ounces on it,,you will see it at Wal-mart by the pyrex measuring cups (oh and the pyrex makes good pour pots) So if you do not have a scale yet, 2 tablespoons works nicely. Here is the link to the dicussion we had on FO's

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7725&page=2&highlight=measuring+FOs

Breanna: You are absolutely right! I got curious and decided to see how much two tablespoons actually weighed. For the scent I used (sun ripened raspberry, which is not a heavy one) it weighed out to exactly 1.0 oz. Looks like my assumption was wrong. LOL Sorry about that, but it just didn't sound right to me at the time.