PLease wich amount of these oils for a good basic recipe?!

Hi everyone!

Can someone please help me set up a good 1 pound CP soap recipe, i mean can u tell me wich amount of oils i should use to have a nice soap base?

here are my oils: coconut,olive (extra virgin),sunflower,shea,avocado, sesame,lard (optional).

I wanna use the shea both as a base oil and at trace, but not in the same recipe.

the avocado, and sesame at trace. I wanna make many small 1lb batches, some of them will be scented with sweet orange EO, eucalyptus EO, Chocolate fragrance, and other fragrances....

and also how many bars a 1pound batch usually makes?

Thanks a lot!!!

You all have a wonderful day,

Laura.

Larua, how small does your scale measure accurately? Working with 3 lb batches are much easier to work with, and allow for a slight error in the lye, while a 1 lb batch has NO room for error.

And thanks for pointed her in that direction Grannyscandles!

Looking at your oils, you can make a good bar with lard, olive and coconut. I'd try 50% olive, maybe 25% coconut and 25% lard? (I haven't plugged these numbers into sooz to check the numbers, so just an off-the-top-of-my head recipe!) I make a soap with these three oils and it's fine! Not necessarily these exact percentages though.

I agree that for really small batches, you should weigh your ingredients in grams instead of ounces.

Have fun, and let us know how your soap turns out! :grin2:

Edited to add: If you want to add shea butter into the recipe, I'd subtract 5% from one of the other oils and go 5% shea.

Hi there,

first i heard there was a tornado in Missouri, and other states, so i really hope that all of you living there are OK.

Well, i used this recipe and run it through the MMS (a really small recipe 8oz, just to experiment)

olive oil : 56.73%

coco oil : 22%

lard :14.18%

shea butter : 7.09%

i don't know if it's gonna be ok, cause i waited too long between mixing,coloring,pouring, and swirling, so i'll see tomorow....

i swirled with green and yellow oxide from oregontrailsoaps ( i received my samples this morning), but the yellow kinda fade away, and scented it with eucalyptus, and sweet orange eo from a UK supplier (newdirectionsuk.com), and i can smell the eucalyptus oil more than the orange, it smells really fresh !!

anyway, i'll post a pic later, cause i don't have a digital camera, and my hubby went out, so his phone is not here,i'll take the pic with his phone later..

Kisses to all of you,

thanks for your advice,

Laura in Sweden.

Yes, Missourian here, and the weather was AWFUL. Really did a lot of damage. We had damage to our house from hailstones the size of golf balls being driven into it by fierce winds. But we were the lucky ones ... some were killed. :embarasse

I didn't plug your numbers into a soapmaking program, but the percentages of your oils & butters look good to me. I like your balance of soft and hard oils; I make a soap similar to that and it's a bar I really like to use on my dry skin!

Let us know how it works after the cure! :wink2:

Hi there,

yep i cut the soap but i think it's kinda greasy, i haven't used it yep, but when i touch it i can feel the greasiness, what do you think caused this? the shea 7% or the lard 22% ?

and i didn't post the pics cause i don't have a camera, only a phone camera, and the picture is really bad!

but i'll try to take another one and see...

thanks a lot,

Laura.