what is the difference between CP soap and MP soap

dleonard

MP has everything done for you alread (no lye to mess with). With CP you can use many different oils to get different characteristics. It is usually much gentler on your skin. MP allows you to be more creative with making embeds (especially with the clear) and other things.

Each has their own place. For example, MP is more fun for kids because you can put toys in them, but CP is great for baby skin and older skin because it is so gentle.

It really depends what you want to do with them to decide which to make. I would probably do both once I start selling, because the MP is more geared towards the kids, while CP is somethin that adults would go for.

Steph

MP has chemicals in it that CP doesn't.

You can do CP with lye, water and oils. But MP has more than just those ingredients in it. Because of this, I would say, CP is more natural than MP. Although CP is NOT 100% natural, I said more natural.

They both have their advantages/disadvantages.

My preference is CP because of chemical sensitivities I have, but I can use MP, just have to be careful of how often I use it (and there are some bases I do not have issues with). Neutagena bars, which are MP IMO were the ones I reacted to the worst. There are many others out there that have chemical sensitivities/allergies that CP is perfect for them.

Plus I think it depends on what you have in mind. MP is easier to be more creative than CP is.

Robin: with M&P you still make your own soap (by adding oatmeal, oils, etc).

Actually, that would be more like making a peanut butter sandwich, just adding PB to the bread.

There are too many differences to discuss here. I say go find a bar of CP soap, or buy a few from people here. After you've tried them, come back to this thread and tell us what you think the difference is. That would be very educational for you, and informative for us CP makers, to have a non CP user try our soaps and compare them to MP. I'll send you a bar for testing.

Interesting..................I will buy a few and let you know, if it' more natural I may try to make them myself.............because that is what I'm looking for in a product "natural".

Thank You so much for all the great info.

PS I will let you know once I try CP soap, where do I buy it??

Robin: with M&P you still make your own soap (by adding oatmeal, oils, etc).

I taught that M&P was more natural than CP because the base is all vegetable?? Is this right??

Well, to be scientific, with MP you don't make soap. Because that's done with the saponification reaction between oils and lye. MP is already soap made, that reaction is done, you're just remelting and adding ingredients, color, fragrance. To be picky :)

As far as MP being natural, those are fighting words on most forums :) Lots of people on both sides. I don't consider MP as natural as CP. But it all depends on what you define as natural. It's really a word with no meaning, so any argument is pointless and unwinnable unless you agree to the definition ;)

You'll also see arguments about the ingredient lists of some M&P bases - many soapers feel that the ingredient lists given are not complete, since they don't include things that make the base so meltable (much more meltable than true soap)

Glycerine, the base of M&P, can only be made by adding oil and lye. It is extruded from commercially made soaps, and also a by-product of diesel manufacturing. I get frustrated when I see people who make M&P soaps, claim how wonderful their soap is for the environment because "they" don't use lye!

I started making soap, so I could reduce the amount of chemicals that are used in our household. M&P held too many unknowns and undisclosed for me. At least with CP soap, I know what goes in.

Just my two cents worth.

Tracey

Robin ~ That was a very eloquent response...better than what I'd a posted, that's for sure. :o

The truth is that the more natural the ingredients to begin with (goes in bread-making also ;)) ... the more healthier and more luxurious product it creates.

Okay...I know this discussion can get heated...I've seen it happen before but...the way I see it is it's like making a cake...you can either make it from scratch or buy it pre-mixed in a box. Yes, you are adding a few extra things (eggs/oil/water) but, you really still don't have control over the ingredients within the mix itself. For me, I would rather make it from scratch...so I know what is going into it but...there are times, on occasion, I use the boxed mix...'cause...well, it is easier and faster, but 90% of the time, I would rather make it from scratch.

Now I'm not knocking (not my intention what-so-ever) melt/pour soapers..because first, that is how I got started and when I use to soap, I loved being creative with it but I wasn't as creative as some of these gals (or guys) that make melt/pour soap and they sure can make a pretty bar of soap. I also found that making melt/pour soap got quite expensive...I know CP soap can too...but it's was much less expensive, for me, to just go with CP.

Anyway, don't mean to step on any melt/pour soaper toes. That's just my two cents.:)

I don't make CP (yet) but I try to use MP bases that have the least amount of chemicals and add ing known to be good for skin.. I feel like a "natural" MP is still better than store bought detergent bars. And I don't claim that mine are more natural than CP... the cake analogy was a perfect one. A cake made either way can be good, they are just different from one another. I like both types of soap, I sell CP goats milk and honey soap from a local lady and its wonderful. But I have always bought glycerin soap till I started making my own. Its all good and we are the cleanest people around!:grin2:

well I guess this is a very hot question to ask................ I ordered a CP soap to see the difference from mine (M&P). I think I may start to make CP soap. I looked online for different recipes and it looks like it's very complicated to make.

Really, it's no more complicated than making cookies from scratch.

The lye can be dangerous and must be respected but there is so much you can do with CP. It really is a wonderful creative outlet for me. I enjoy the reading and researching I do, the tinkering and the testing.

I also make MP once in a while. I like the fun things you can do with it, but I love the quality of my cp soap. There are trade offs with each.

I am a MP fanatic.. I have done just about everything I could and was told I couldn't with it:D I have bought and tried CP and other lye formulas and all I can say is while I love my MP and think I pushed and broke the limits of it to make the best MP possible.... CP just rocks...:tongue2: