Craft Fair Question?

pdevine

I am seriously considering attending my first craft fair this upcoming fall and was wondering. Do you have to have a business license and a tax ID# before you can be accepted into these?

Just seriously considering doing one and I am a nervous nanny, I see now what you all who have done them before go through before hand,,,,,,LOL TIA Portia

nope, not at all! Usually you can simply use your social security # for the forms that they have. Or if you have a state sales certificate. Its pretty darn easy!

Many shows don't even require all that info. I think that means they don't report it to the state for tax purposes.

Have fun!

Portia,

My advice to you is to go ahead and get the proper paperwork from your state. It is not a big deal. You just have to file timely returns or face steep penalties. Besides, it is best from the start to be legal and pay those sales taxes.

Also, every show I have done has had somebody from the state on hand to make sure the state gets their share. So chances are you will be approached by the state wanting some money.

Blessings,

Don

Portia,

I would go ahead and get the legal end taken care off. The craft fair folks may not require it but in VA the State is really picky about getting their 5% sales tax. Might just as well start out with all your i's dotted and t's crossed.

I charge the same price however I sell a candle.

You need to check with your state on how to get set up. I'm just a part timer too. The State Dept. of Taxation had a web site explaining how to get a tax id no. and how to report state sales tax. I checked with the county on getting a business license and registering my name. I'm a DBA (Doing Business As). In my county there is just a one time $10 fee to register a business name and since it is a home based craft business no license was required. Each State and County will be different.