kitchen sink maintenance

I remember reading a post about periodically dumping something down the kitchen sink to prevent any residual wax or oils from becoming a problem. I think it was baking soda but not sure if there was something else, too. I even printed it so I'd remember to do it...but of course I can't find it now. The person who posted it commented on how the sink bubbles and how her grandchildren thought it was so funny...does anyone remember this ?

Do not ever dump wax down your drains, its a really bad idea. Now that being said I've been told baking soda, then vinegar, watch it bubble. BUT, then you should have boiling water ready & pour that down too.

I know someone that didn't do the boiling water part. The baking soda didn't totally desolve & ended up getting rock hard. They had to replace that part of the drain that the baking soda was stuck so don't forget to wash it down with the boiling water. Personally I don't even mess with this stuff, I just try to watch what I put down there in the 1st place.

Karen B

Do not ever dump wax down your drains, its a really bad idea. Now that being said I've been told baking soda, then vinegar, watch it bubble. BUT, then you should have boiling water ready & pour that down too.

I know someone that didn't do the boiling water part. The baking soda didn't totally desolve & ended up getting rock hard. They had to replace that part of the drain that the baking soda was stuck so don't forget to wash it down with the boiling water. Personally I don't even mess with this stuff, I just try to watch what I put down there in the 1st place.

Karen B

But be careful with boiling water in a porcelain sink...do NOT ask me how I know! :D (Had a hard time explaining that big CRACK to my husband!!)

Thanks for the tip on the baking soda getting stuck in the pipe, tho! I never knew that. I have always run alot of hot water in the kitchen sink after putting the baking soda and vinegar in and have not had any problems...yet.

I dump the water from my double boiler on any weeds growing around the house. If the water is hot it will kill the weeds.

Me too, lol. But my neighbors don't keep their yard nice at all and so their weeds keep encroaching on our grass. The neighbor on the other side is wonderful. We have a townhome and so the grass on one side of the sidewalk looks great and the other side looks like crap. Maybe I should start dumping my water on the bad neighbors weeds too. Hmmmm . . . :D

But be careful with boiling water in a porcelain sink...do NOT ask me how I know! :D (Had a hard time explaining that big CRACK to my husband!!)

Oh shoot, can't imagine what my DH would have to say to me. :tiptoe: I think the important thing is to make sure you flush it down the line. Just run lots of hot water.

Now for the water in the double boiler, well since I have my own area I just leave it in the pot. Most of the time I'm down there the next day doing more candles so I really don't have to worry. I don't have a sink in my pouring area yet so my biggest problem is I get so lazy about going upstairs to get more water.

Karen B

Oh shoot, can't imagine what my DH would have to say to me. :tiptoe: I think the important thing is to make sure you flush it down the line. Just run lots of hot water.

Now for the water in the double boiler, well since I have my own area I just leave it in the pot. Most of the time I'm down there the next day doing more candles so I really don't have to worry. I don't have a sink in my pouring area yet so my biggest problem is I get so lazy about going upstairs to get more water.

Karen B

I only pour my pot water out when I spill dye in it or if it just looks really crusty (or if we're having company and I need to get the pot off the stove. I usually just keep it sitting on the back burner). There really isn't a need to throw it out everyday and pour new water in.

Thanx guys...vinegar was the other thing. I didn't know about the hot water, either, so I'm glad I asked. I try to be careful and yes, I dump my double boiler water in my neighbor's not-so-nice weeds, too!

I wanted to do this strictly as maintenance cuz I think no matter how careful you are, there has to be some residual greasy "stuff" getting down there. For example, FO's, etc. are oil-based and I wash my little measuring cups out all the time. And some of my "tester" candles get melted down and the glass washed and re-used (for my use only!). I try to wipe out all the wax with paper towel and baby wipes first, but there is always a little residual film left no matter what. Same with oils & butters now that I'm venturing into the B&B thing a little bit.