Pillar ?'s

I know that some of you prefer to have your pillars leave walls as they are burning and some of prefer to have your pillar totally consume themselves. In any case, how thick should the walls be when you are burning it? And if it is to comsume itself, should the walls of the candle fold inward and the meltpool be at the top of the candle at any stage of burning? If that makes any sense. The reason I am asking is that my pillar seems to be confused as to which one it wants to be. When burning, it seems to want to leave a little wall about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch thick and about 1 inch tall before it starts to slightly fold inward. Then last night, a part of the wall started to bulge and broke in half and wax went all over the pillar plate. Is that because the wall was too tall before folding over? Also, I have noticed that when burning the walls of the pillars when I touch them are sticky- is that normal???? I am using KY's votive/pillar blend. Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Theresa

It sounds like your wick is a little large. I think anytime the pillar overflows, the wick needs to be changed. I also think most people try to shoot for the leaving the walls about 1/4" thick. Veg wax pillars are a little different than paraffin. From my own personal experience it is really hard to get them to consume themselves like paraffin candles. This because most people who work with paraffin can wick them so you can turn the warmed edges in as it burns. Veg wax isn't that pliable. When the edges of my pillars get warm they do get a little sticky. On mine when the edges get soft and warm I push them in a little so it will take away more of the sides once it burns down deeper. Usually it will kind of break off.

What wicks are you using?

Thanks Jeana. I am using HTP wicks. I started with 104 & 105 and this one had a 1212 in it. It was burning beautifully for 40 hours then splat it overflowed. I think I am going to redo this pillar with a 126 and see what that does.

Theresa

wow 40 hours is a long time. Was it at the end of the pillar when it flowed over? I've been getting some really good results with the cd 7 in a similar wax. Just in case you get between sizes in the HTPs

Candlemom, be careful. I, like yourself thought that HTP 126 was a "smaller" wick, but if you read through some of the most recent posts, it was stated that the sizes of HTPs go like this: 105, 1212, 1312, and then 126. I'm sorry I can't recall who wrote this, but they said that the 126 has a hotter burn. Good luck!