Burn time

Hello, Has this happened to anyone else? I did a test burn on a candle and it burned 10g in 2.5 hours, then the next day I burned it for another 2.5 hours but this time it burned almost 20g. What could the cause be and how do I know what the real burn rate is?

Now, I'm sure you probably subtracted right, but thought I mention it, just in case. Your numbers jumped out at me. On the second burn, you subtracted it from the total after the first burn right? It looked odd that the second was exactly double. If you mistakenly subtracted it from the origional candle, it would make each burn 10g. This just sounds like something I would do when I'm in a hurry.

Now, I'm sure you probably subtracted right, but thought I mention it, just in case. Your numbers jumped out at me. On the second burn, you subtracted it from the total after the first burn right? It looked odd that the second was exactly double. If you mistakenly subtracted it from the origional candle, it would make each burn 10g. This just sounds like something I would do when I'm in a hurry.

Wish I had, but no I subtracted the 2nd amount from the reduced amount. The only difference I can think of is that the 1st burn was in a heated room at night while the 2nd was in an unheated room with the window open during the day (even though it wasn't drafty). I'll replicate conditions 1 again tonight and see how it goes. Thanks

There are so many variables that can affect just how one candle burns, it's impossible to calculate an exact burn time. A container candle will burn hotter as it gets lower, so the hotter the burn the faster the burn time. Even Yankee doesn't give one approximate burn time on any one size candle.

For 22 oz., 110-150 hrs.

14.5 oz., 65-90 hrs.

3.7 oz., 25-40 hrs.

Nothing scientific here, but it always seems to me that the second (third, etc) burn is different from the first. I would add a third burn to the mix and see what results you get from that. I would use the totals and figure from there to give you more of an average burn. HTH :)

Nothing scientific here, but it always seems to me that the second (third, etc) burn is different from the first. I would add a third burn to the mix and see what results you get from that. I would use the totals and figure from there to give you more of an average burn. HTH :)
Thanks for the tip. I did a 3rd burn and it turned out the same as the 2nd so I guess that the 1st was just an anomoly. Rats! I was hoping for an easy answer (not that this isn't easy, just more time consuming). Still, who've ever get into candle making if time was an issue. LOL :D