Ceramic Mold help

I have a large ceramic mold and have a problem removing the wax once it is ready - i have tried spraying pam on the mold and have even resorted to putting grease on the mold in order to get the wax off easier - any suggestions??

I think the easiest way would be if you could adjust the wax formula so it sticks less and shrinks more. For instance some of the hardening additives will do that. Another additive you can try is kemamide (release wax), which makes the candle surface a bit more slippery.

For coating the mold, you might try a silicone spray rather than grease.

You can also try temperature. It works for metal molds but I don't know about ceramic. Put it in the refrigerator for a good while if the candle is large, to get it well chilled. Take it out and let the mold warm up a few minutes so it expands a bit, then see if it will come out.

I'm curious about this mold you're using.

Thanks guys I have put was additives in the wax but still no luck - i tried using a silicone spray but that didnt work either. I have not tried putting the mold in a refrigerator...the mold is a ceramic scioto angel about 12 in high.

HOLY COW........are you guys saying I can actually USE my ceramic molds for wax?!? I've put my ceramic hobby on hold as of about 6 years ago..have some brand new ceramic molds (at the time) I never used (we won't mention the huge brand new kiln that was used ONCE to make sure it worked, and never again - since thats not important right now). I can't WAIT to try this!! I have silicone spray release........has anyone actually DONE this successfully?:shocked2:

HOLY COW........are you guys saying I can actually USE my ceramic molds for wax

Honey, you could soooooooooooo many things as a mold. Just don't want one that's weak when hot or porous. Heck Just look at Donita & others who use balloons to make 'cane shells. :grin2::wink2:

Honey, you could soooooooooooo many things as a mold. Just don't want one that's weak when hot or porous. Heck Just look at Donita & others who use balloons to make 'cane shells. :grin2::wink2:
You said it girl. Apparently you can even make candles out of french ticklers. http://www.onestopcandle.com/candle/canlatexinstruction.php

I have used alot of things for molds.....just didn't think the ceramic molds would work, (since I thought they were porous) thats why I wondered if anyone had been able to do it, with the key word....."succesfully"! LOL

The ceramics themselves, yes you could use as a mold as long as it's glazed. It would be just like using a glass mold.

But the ceramic mold itself, I can't see how that would work since they are made with very porous plaster type stuff. And I would also think you wouldn't want to seal it with anything, unless you would turn it into an exclusively wax mold. I'm thinking once sealed it would be ruined for ceramic slip, because it's the porous properties that make the slip dry and harden into bisque.

The ceramics themselves, yes you could use as a mold as long as it's glazed. It would be just like using a glass mold.

But the ceramic mold itself, I can't see how that would work since they are made with very porous plaster type stuff. And I would also think you wouldn't want to seal it with anything, unless you would turn it into an exclusively wax mold. I'm thinking once sealed it would be ruined for ceramic slip, because it's the porous properties that make the slip dry and harden into bisque.

Thanks, thats exactly what I was thinking, and why I hadn't used them.....darn it......that would have just been toooo easy! lol