Stong FOs

I'm just starting out choosing some FO's and I'm a bit confused about which FO's are "good" and which are not for retail sale. Are strong FO's the only type of candles that sell (the more is better principle)? By strong I mean the "weight" of the scent in the air. Or does strong in this context mean "throw"? Or is it that the heavy scents normally throw better?

I've got a few FO's I've tested that have great throw but they aren't "heavy" like a lot of them are. One of them is NG Apples and Oak. I absolutely LOVE this scent because it fills the room AND you don't get knocked out if you walk in the room when it has burned for any length of time.

Please help!:confused:

Sorry but I'm not sure exactly what the question was:undecided But I'll try to answer as best as I can anyway . Heavy fo's are generally considered to be the ones like vanillas that have to be wicked up if you're talking to someone that makes candles.

When strong is mentioned that usually means that the fo has a good throw ( meaning that it produces a good strong smell in the room ) There are people that like a lightly scented candle rather than one that knocks you down when you walk into a room. When people order a gift basket for someone from me I ask if they like a " heavily scented or lightly scented candle" If I used words like good throw then they wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about. KWIM?

Strong usually refers to how well the FO throws. Heavy refers to how thick the FO is which requires you to wick up. These heavy FOs won't fill the bottle as high as the lighter FOs, but the weight will be the same. I hope that made sense. I have FOs that are light in scent but throw well - in other words, they won't blow your doors off, but they definately can be smelled when burning. Some folks do prefer these lighter type scents than those stronger ones because the stronger ones can overwhelm some folks. Some examples of a lighter scent in soy would be: Moonlight Romance and Coconut Peaches and Milk. I don't think IMO that heavy FOs necessarily throw better -they just need a larger wick to burn properly.

Ok, I see now that my confusion was in terminology. There are strong (good throw) FO's that can be heavy or lite in scent. I was thinking that when

"strong" was used in reference to an FO it meant that the scent was heavy.

Thanks for setting me straight!

• 5 years later...
I'm just starting out choosing some FO's and I'm a bit confused about which FO's are "good" and which are not for retail sale. Are strong FO's the only type of candles that sell (the more is better principle)? By strong I mean the "weight" of the scent in the air. Or does strong in this context mean "throw"? Or is it that the heavy scents normally throw better?

I've got a few FO's I've tested that have great throw but they aren't "heavy" like a lot of them are. One of them is NG Apples and Oak. I absolutely LOVE this scent because it fills the room AND you don't get knocked out if you walk in the room when it has burned for any length of time.

Please help!:confused:

www.CandleScience.com rates their FOs with 3 leaves for strong, 2 leaves for medium, & 1 leaf for mild, according to how they throw in soy based on their tests.

"Heavy" may refer to the actual weight (viscosity) of a particular oil but it can also refer to the scent itself. It depends upon the context in which it's used. Conversely, "light" refers to the same things. I rate the throw of fragrance oils as strong or weak. Either it nearly runs ya out of the room (strong) or it's barely noticable (weak). Of course, there is a pleasing middle area... :)

Sometimes this is completely subjective. If a person does not like floral scents, for example, they might say a particular FO was too "strong," when in reality, they just don't like the fragrance much. I'm like that with fruity scents. Some of my customers have strong reactions to herbal scents which I love, but they hate.

Supplier ratings can be helpful as guidelines, but they are not always terribly accurate. It depends on the wax, the wicking and other variables. It also helps to remember that suppliers are in the business of selling their stuff. The same fragrance from different suppliers may vary considerably, so don't rely solely on any supplier's rating. The best test is how a particular FO performs in YOUR candle system. HTH :)