Info on candle labels

Georgia

I know you guys are lawyers or play one on TV, but I need another opinion. I have been redesigning my labels (trying to make them right) and reading legalese till I'm spinning. My question is about the net wt of a jar candle. I have a scent label on top with my logo. On the bottom is the warning label with addy and net wt. this paragragh throws me...

(2) The net quantity of contents (in terms of weight or mass, measure, or numerical count) shall be separately and accurately stated in a uniform location upon the principal display panel of that label, using the most appropriate units of both the customary inch/pound system of measure, as provided in paragraph (3) of this subsection, and, except as provided in paragraph (3)(A)(ii) or paragraph (6) of this subsection, the SI metric system

Does my weight have to be on top with the scent? I have cruised a bunch of websites looking at candles. I see very few with the weight by the scent. Even Yankme is inconsistant. I don't want to redo these again...any thoughts?

Warning label on bottom.I have my other info on top.Name, phone, e-mail/website,soy candle/w weight, and scent.

I sell mostly 8 ounce and people seem to know but I still label 8 ounce soy candle.Depends on my space.Have also put soy candle and just below put the weight.OF course font size can be changed to get it all in.

COMPANY

PHONE

E-MAIL/WEBSITE(if one)

8 OUNCE SOY CANDLE

SCENT

This is about all that is needed

Are you doing this because you feel you have to, or you just like the idea? It's a candle -- quantity one. It's not like they're going to scoop out the contents and spread it on their toast in the morning. If you sell a hammer you don't have to tell people how much it weighs.

Are you doing this because you feel you have to, or you just like the idea? It's a candle -- quantity one. It's not like they're going to scoop out the contents and spread it on their toast in the morning. If you sell a hammer you don't have to tell people how much it weighs.

I'm doing this because I am trying to grow a respectable business and labeling correctly is part of it.

Actually, hammers do list weights.

My question was "does it have to be on the top label with my logo". Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Lynn, Roxie, thanks for your thoughts!

I'm doing this because I am trying to grow a respectable business and labeling correctly is part of it.

I apologize if I offended you in any way - it wasn't my intention.

I don't claim to be an expert in candle labeling but I felt that you were interpreting the law as requiring the weight of the candle to be on the packaging, especially since you were reading statute in order to decide where it should go. I've been under the impression that this isn't a legal requirement for candle packaging. The contents of the candle is not a product seperate from the container. The jar, the wax, and the wick all comprise an integral unit that is a candle.

Everyone makes choices about how they want to present themselves, so I understand perfectly if you like that as a way of adding professionalism to your labeling. It's also useful for comparing the size of different container candles, especially if you sell them online. As you pointed out, some big producers like Yankee do it.

On the other hand, Illuminations makes better and more upscale candles and they don't have weights on their products, so it's not always a criterion for respectability. Their jars are basically described as small medium and large. For the purpose of web sales they provide the burn time of each container.

Will you be weighing the wax before filling the jar?

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1737

This states that the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act specifically applies to candles. OK, so the fine print says it is an "act" not a "law". And Illiminations is another example that just adds to the inconsistencies. I'm beginning to think if I'm TRYING to do the right thing, I must be succeeding. :rolleyes:

And yes, I am weighing the wax. While the jar is part of the candle, it is not consumable. Net Wt is the wax and wick. (It would be tough to sell a can of chicken soup without the can, but the weight listed is the soup.)

I went looking yesterday and there are inconsistencies in this in a lot of packaging. I don't think it has to be on top with your logo. You can keep it clean and nice looking. Home Interiors didn't have it listed on their packaging on the front. You could probably put it on your caution label if you wanted to. I saw some of that too.

This states that the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act specifically applies to candles.

Yeah you're right. I also read it to mean that you're supposed to put it on that top label, though apparently manufacturers take some liberties with this. I think the info at http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fplajump.html is more complete. The FTC is in charge of the details of how the law is to be applied.

I can see this being a hassle with containers requiring two pours. Maybe it's acceptable to understate the net weight by a small amount to create wiggle room. Since the purpose of the law is to facilitate value comparisons for consumers, it would at least be within the spirit if not the letter of the law to give them a bit more than stated on the label.