Aluminum molds and surface finish

Do any of you feel that you have a handle on all the factors that can help get a great candle surface finish using an aluminum mold?

I personally find it to be especially tricky with mottled pillars to always get a nice smooth finish.

Let me tell you what I THINK I may know about this and see what you think. For the purpose of this discussion, let's disregard all additives and let's not worry about whether the mottle effect is increased or decreased. These are the things I can think of that could be relevant:

1 - Higher pouring temperature = better finish.

2 - Warming the mold = better finish.

3 - Faster cooling = better finish.

4 - #1 and #2 can sometimes backfire if not combined with #3.

Agree/disagree?

1 - Higher pouring temperature = better finish.

2 - Warming the mold = better finish.

3 - Faster cooling = better finish.

4 - #1 and #2 can sometimes backfire if not combined with #3.

Agree/disagree?

Mostly, I would disagree. This is JMHO...

1 - Higher pouring temperature = better finish. I pour cooler (even 160) and get mottle

2 - Warming the mold = better finish. Whenever I've warmed my mold, I've always ended up with pitting

3 - Faster cooling = better finish. I don't cool any special way. They just sit on the counter until the next day.

Are you satisfied with the surface smoothness of your mottles? I'm often not and trying to optimize it.

Actually, yes. I'm usually very happy with the results of the mottle. I rarely remelt any pillars! LOL

Whenever I've warmed my mold, I've always ended up with pitting

I've found that if I warm a mold until it feels hot, then I'll get pitting. But if I warm it only enough for it to feel warm, but not actually hot, then I get a good finish.