Double wicking soy container

If you set the wicks 3/4" apart, I would curl them out, but if they were 1 1/2" apart, I would curl them in. I had a customer give feedback on a candle that the jar was getting too hot to touch, so I spaced the wicks closer together and retested on a subsequent candle, and it cooled down the glass considerably. If you have a jar wider than 4" you need to space the wicks at least 1" but not more than 1 1/2, then turn the wick to curl appropriately.

HTH! geek

Thanks Geek,

That's what I was thinking. The container is just a hair over 3 1/2" & I can't get a full mp after testing 4 wicks - the bigger wick I use, the deeper it goes.

I use 2 HTP104's for my jars (4"), I get a full MP within an hour, about 1/4-1/2 deep. I have tried everything from 1-HTP1212 to 2-HTP1213 to 2-HTP83 (works well), but the 104 works best for me.

I use 2 HTP104's for my jars (4"), I get a full MP within an hour, about 1/4-1/2 deep. I have tried everything from 1-HTP1212 to 2-HTP1213 to 2-HTP83 (works well), but the 104 works best for me.

thanks for the reply. The container I'm wicking is 3 1/2", I put in 2 HTP 83s and so far it's doing what it should:smiley2: .(3rd burn) The wicks were set to curl outward at 1" apart, next time I'll move them in to 3/4". The glass isn't getting hot but I think it will look better if they are a little closer.

Next container to test is a 4" so I'll test with the 104s.

How do you decide which way your wicks will curl?
Not sure if you're asking which way you should want them to curl, or how to make them curl the way you want.

A flat braid wick will curl toward the side with "arrows" pointing upwards. You definitely want to be aware of that when double wicking, because it does affect the way the melt pool develops and it looks better if it isn't random.

Experiment a bit to find what looks good and produces good results. You can space the wicks a little further apart and curl them in, or a little closer and curl them out. But generally you want the two melt pools to get melded together pretty quickly so they make a more round shape and spread out better. As you move the flames farther apart it turns kind of oval and ends up melting in more of a straight line.

. You can space the wicks a little further apart and curl them in, or a little closer and curl them out. But generally you want the two melt pools to get melded together pretty quickly so they make a more round shape and spread out better. As you move the flames farther apart it turns kind of oval and ends up melting in more of a straight line.

Top,

I decided to move the wicks a tad closer together cause I was getting a bit of an oval shaped mp as you mentioned. Same principal works with double wicked pillars too.

ebarnes: look closely at the braiding pattern on the wick - one side has the V pointing down, the other side the V points up. Holding the wick in front of you with the V down-side on the left & V up-side on the right -- that wick will curl to the right. When setting the wick in the container be careful that it doesn't get turned. When I set wicks in a 3 wicker, I turn them so they curl toward each other (not toward the center) making a nice round mp rather than that cloverleaf shaped mp. This curling tip sure made my life easier ;)

Not sure if you're asking which way you should want them to curl, or how to make them curl the way you want.

A flat braid wick will curl toward the side with "arrows" pointing upwards. You definitely want to be aware of that when double wicking, because it does affect the way the melt pool develops and it looks better if it isn't random.

Experiment a bit to find what looks good and produces good results. You can space the wicks a little further apart and curl them in, or a little closer and curl them out. But generally you want the two melt pools to get melded together pretty quickly so they make a more round shape and spread out better. As you move the flames farther apart it turns kind of oval and ends up melting in more of a straight line.

In my 3 1/2" jars I space them with about 1/4 to 1/2" between the wicks and put them in with the downward "v" towards the outside of the jar. Top is right, you will have to play around with it until you get a good rounded meltpool and burn from it.