MP Colorant Issues

Grumpy Girl

I'm having lots of issues with MP soap and color bleeding. My control bar from the swap has started bleeding, so I know that it's gonna be ugly as hell by the weekend. I used the wilton cake colors with this particular bar because I read it did not bleed... so my questions are:

Is it the color or the MP base causing the color bleed?

What are good alternatives for MP color that hold up over time and give a rich, bold color?

I want to carry MP in my line, but I want to be able to shelf them and not worry about the colors doing odd things.

I really like Lab Colors or the Select Shades. I find you can get a deeper color with the Select Shades. Over 2 years ago I made 200 pair of flip flop soaps for my daughters wedding. There were some left over and I still have them, color looks the same as the day I made them and they were all 2-toned. No bleeding, but I also was careful that I didn't use any FO's that had vanilla in them, if I thought there might be some then I used the vanilla stabilizer for MP soaps. I used SFIC base. I had some soaps get realy ugly before I started to use the stabilizer.

http://tradewinds.mainsecure.net/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15&zenid=f53c054ef35f6f5097ebf68e607f5294

Oh cool. I've seen the ones at the chemistry store but never knew the brand. Don't I feel stupd. :D

Thanks, I'm gonna look around and probably get several different types to test. I'm recalling a place that showed whether or not certain colors bled, like CranberryGirl said, but I don't see anything on BCN's site. I'm probably looking in the wrong place.

I read this with interest because I've been trying all different kinds of colorants for my M&P. I thought maybe I would try the Lab Colors so I went to the links mentioned. And now I need some serious help - I've been looking and looking at these, and I keep going to different online converters, but I think I must be doing something wrong. Here are the two links I'm looking at:

http://www.chemistrystore.com/soapcolors.htm

http://www.brambleberry.com/basic12.html

At the Chemistry store, you can get a set of all 12 colors - 1 oz. each - for $17.96 (which they are advertising as 25% off, originally $23.95.)

At Brambleberry, you can get a set of all 12 colors - 10 ml each - for $62.79.

From what I'm seeing 1 oz = 30 ml, so that makes the price difference even greater. What am I missing?

Ok, now that I typed all this in, I don't see on the Chemistry Store site where it says they are Lab Colors - it just says soap colors. Are the Lab Colors that much better? Anyone have either of these and care to shed some light on the huge price difference for me (or just tell me I'm nuts and can't do my conversions right :whistle: )

Thanks for helping a very confused soaper!

Kate

Oh cool. I've seen the ones at the chemistry store but never knew the brand. Don't I feel stupd. :D

Thanks, I'm gonna look around and probably get several different types to test. I'm recalling a place that showed whether or not certain colors bled, like CranberryGirl said, but I don't see anything on BCN's site. I'm probably looking in the wrong place.

I think it's WSP. Here are some mica's http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/Product.aspx?Tab=1&CatalogID=2&GroupID=579&CatalogTitle=0&CategoryID=768&CategoryName=Mica+-+Bars

WSP says they won't migrate in soap.

I read this with interest because I've been trying all different kinds of colorants for my M&P. I thought maybe I would try the Lab Colors so I went to the links mentioned. And now I need some serious help - I've been looking and looking at these, and I keep going to different online converters, but I think I must be doing something wrong. Here are the two links I'm looking at:

http://www.chemistrystore.com/soapcolors.htm

http://www.brambleberry.com/basic12.html

At the Chemistry store, you can get a set of all 12 colors - 1 oz. each - for $17.96 (which they are advertising as 25% off, originally $23.95.)

At Brambleberry, you can get a set of all 12 colors - 10 ml each - for $62.79.

From what I'm seeing 1 oz = 30 ml, so that makes the price difference even greater. What am I missing?

Ok, now that I typed all this in, I don't see on the Chemistry Store site where it says they are Lab Colors - it just says soap colors. Are the Lab Colors that much better? Anyone have either of these and care to shed some light on the huge price difference for me (or just tell me I'm nuts and can't do my conversions right :whistle: )

Thanks for helping a very confused soaper!

Kate

The Lab Colors at the Chemistry store are diluted, and the ones that BB has are contentrated. I've only used the diluted ones. I did get some of the concentrated ones when Jen still had Lab Colors and had her fire sale (before selling Lab Colors) but I sold them cause I was afraid they were to concentrated for what I wanted to use them for (small batch of lotion and MP), and I didn't know enough about preservatives to dilute and then add the preservative to keep them safe. I find for what I need the diluted ones work fine, but they don't color as deep as the Select Shades. I'm sure if you got the Lab Color concentrate you could get a real deep color.

BTW, I don't know why the Chemistry store isn't labeling their colors as Lab Colors, they used to, and the colors on their page haven't changed, so you'd have to email them to see what they say.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered a set of the Select Shades. The color mixing just seems great, as well as the fact I can use them in anything. I tried to get on the chemistry store's site tonight to order the lab colors, but the cart was messing up for me.

Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it. I do want to give the labcolors and TKB trading a try as well eventually.