Old question, refresh my memory (Roasters)

Presto Pot is a must.I used a turkey roaster 1 time and that is it.I got the presto pot immedeiately.Now have 2.Love those for making candles.It took 4 times longer for wax to melt in a turkey roaster. BORING.

LynnS

How fast can you melt 6 pounds of wax in a Presto pot?

They are way slow I have a couple and I rarely use them. I use my presto pot or my big direct heat melter much faster.

It's 18 qts, thats quit a few candles (38 I think), how slow are you talking? Does it not matter that there is a temp setting, and were you using a slab or pellets?

Well I am not sure about 6 lbs, but I can melt 4 lbs in about 15 minutes and have it up to pouring temperature in about 20 minutes. It might be even faster than that, but all I know is that by the time I am ready to pour (getting jars ready, equipment, etc), the wax is usually ready before I am. I have never used a turkey rooster tho.

I followed those directions on the internet for the presto pot with a spigot. It is great. Was easy to follow and the only problem I see is if I melt too much wax I either have to use it all up or put it in a coffee can to be able to use a different wax. Guess I should just get another presto pot, lol.

Thanks for all of the great ideas and advice.

I've been using the turkey roasters for a couple of years now. I have two going 90% of the time. I guess they're slow; I don't know; it's what I'm used to. I make sure they are full the night before, then when I get up in the morning I turn them on to 250. Within two hours my wax is ready. I can pour through one in a mtter of a half an hour, so I immediatly fill it up again, crank it up (if I had to turn it down a bit earlier). I then I go on to roaster #2. Usually I only have to wait 30 min. or so for that first roaster to be ready again. They melt faster the second go around, I guess because the temp is already up; not waiting for it to work it's way up. I do ladle into pouring pots, weighing, then adding FO, stir, stir, stir, pour. I wouldn't know how to not weigh the wax, let alone the FO. I know people have ways to skip the weighing, but I don't know how they do that.

Gretchen