FO with sedement in it

smart tart

Just wondering if anyone has bought fo's with sedement 'floating' or sitting at the bottom or the bottle? I have a bottle of fo (in a clear bottle) that has dark brown/almost black sedement settled in the bottom of the bottle. When I shake the bottle, the sedement just floats throughout the bottle. This bottle ** was purchased in May 05, been stored in a dark cabinet, etc.

I contacted the vendor and was told that this was ok, that it was just a heavy oil, lots of eo's, and not to worry about it. That just seemed strange to me. If this were the case, wouldn't/shouldn't the vendor note this on their site?

Other than having a few fo's crystalize, has anyone ever experienced this type of 'floating stuff' in their fo?

Thanks,

Debbie

**Edited because the fo was purchased in May 05 - so it is closer to a year old than the 6 months I originally stated.

Who was the vendor, so I know not to buy from them! That doesn't sound right to me. Sounds like there's some kind of contamination in the oil. Most fragrance oils we buy do not have essential oils in them--they're all just chemical imitations. Not to say that yours couldn't have EOs in it, but even if it does, I haven't come across EOs with sediment.

I did purchase a sample (thank goodness) of FO from Aztec Wax that had white flakey sediment in it. I called them and they said they would issue a credit on my next order.

you didn't mention the supplier in your post, but I too use a CW FO that has sediment. If this is Calming Waters from JS, then it does have sediment, as it is an oil made from raw materiels---the sediment is nothing bad, it is just a very high quality oil!! I have been using it for some time and it is part of the package. Becky told me it was that way due to the raw materials and has nothing to do with the throw, contamination, or quality. I would just pour it and see what you think.

BTW--I also use several oils from different suppliers that have actual cocoa and different materials in them, and they too are dynamite. Most of the more complex oils have 'stuff' floating in them I have found. I think you are safe!

I've got a bottle of the same as you Jordan (bought it on the classifieds) but I'm not buying into it. How can sticks, seeds, and sediment equal a high quality oil? Strain that stuff outwhen you make it! To me, it's a total fire hazard. And body safe? How would you feel if you bought a lotion and it had a gritty feeling.. I wouldn't like it, and I refuse to give my customers something I know is just not right. I'm not going to strain that stuff, because I know I can go to other suppliers and get my fo without the gunk in it. Just not worth it.

I have a coffee scent that I have bought for some time now and it always has sediment at the bottom. Doesn't seem to affect the candle at all and it gives a kick butt throw. My most requested one in the winter. IMO as long as it perfoms to your standards I wouldn't worry about it.

I've got a bottle of the same as you Jordan (bought it on the classifieds) but I'm not buying into it. How can sticks, seeds, and sediment equal a high quality oil? Strain that stuff outwhen you make it! To me, it's a total fire hazard. And body safe? How would you feel if you bought a lotion and it had a gritty feeling.. I wouldn't like it, and I refuse to give my customers something I know is just not right. I'm not going to strain that stuff, because I know I can go to other suppliers and get my fo without the gunk in it. Just not worth it.

Sticks and seeds???? I don't see that in it, sediment but not that. By all means, strain it. I only meant that an oil made from raw materials will have sediment in it----they are not necessarily contaminated. This is one of many oils I have used that have floaties. Granted, I haven't ever received a bottle with sticks and seeds....

I agree with Bunny. Oils can start out with sediment in it, but I think most manufacturers would filter that stuff out anyway, so that what they sell you is a clear oil without gunk in it. (When I say clear, I don't mean it can't be golden in color or anything.)

It makes me think of dirty cooking oil in a deepfryer--you know, it starts out clear, but the more you use it the darker it gets, and the more grit shows up in it.

Was the sediment in there when you originally purchased the oil, or is this something that has occured over time? I wouldn't use it either way, but if it has occured since you got it, I would say it's definitely tim to throw it away.

I honestly question the vendor that said there were "lots of eo's" in the fragrance oil. Fragrance oils that most of us purchase are chemical reproductions--no eo's, or certainly very minimal amounts of eo's. If many eo's were used to make your fragrance oil it would probably be one very price FO. The other thing that bothers me is that you would receive a FO in a clear bottle--especially if it contained so many EO's.

The above mentioned was my concern. I did not want to use FO with floating matter in my body products (which is primarily what I bought it for). I believe it was a vanilla scent and cuke/melon, but can't remember exactly.

Even the EO statement doesn't sit right with me. Now, I only have a few eo's, but none of them have gunk in them.

I understand about crystalization with some of the high vanilla's or other fo's - and appreciate the time a few suppliers take in letting us know it's normal and what to do about it.