Confused by wick coating

Hello, 

I was wondering if anyone could clear up my confusion. In contacting Atkins Pearce who manufacture the HTP wicks they state this about them:

-Our regular Wick Wax is Paraffin (no up-charge). We also offer High Melt, Beeswax, and Veggie.
- Our standard Tab Size is 6mm x 20mm, but we have others available.
- We offer Cut-Lengths from 1”-12”

I have used The Flaming candle HTP wicks in the past. On The Flaming Candle site it states this about their HTP wicks:

Our HTP wicks are:

primed with a standard or high melt paraffin wax coating

6" in length

pre-tabbed in a 20mm X 3mm tab

So one thing I am confused about is the one from flaming candle that I have ordered and have been testing with, is it a regular paraffin wax or is it a high melt wax? 

I had ordered some custom wicks from candlewic because I wanted a higher neck wick tab than TFC and had them made with high melt wax. But they seem to burn with a higher flame and hotter than the ones I got from TFC. So that makes me think TFC use the standard paraffin wax? I would assume TFC are just ordering large quantities of the wicks from Atkins Pearce and then reselling in smaller quantities. But then why is the wick tab a different size as well? Does anyone have any insight into any of this? Thanks much!

I wish TFC would give more precise info to you. This gets so frustrating. 😒

I believe the shorter necks on tabs offered by most retailers are to please the people who mistakenly believe a candle should consume every drop of wax. I personally like the slightly taller necks to minimize potential bad endings. 

the paraffin coating is confusing, isn’t it? As you know all paraffins have different behaviors in a candle. The higher melt point paraffin often helps with things like palm wax to keep the coating intact on the wick for super hot pours. It also can help keep the wick sturdier with soft waxes to help lower the sagging and leaning during a burn. 

the other assumption is that the wick material is the same from batch to batch. During the panny the yarns changed without notice due to supply changes. The yarns burned differently enough to cause concern. It could be the stuff from your original source was older (or newer) than the yarns used now at A&P. You are so smart to test everything the way you are.