Candle Warmers

I don't own one, but candle warmers seem to be becoming popular.  So, I've got a question ... are they unsafe to use with a candle when the candle is lit?  It would seem so, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be something someone would do, not thinking that it could make the wax too hot.  What are your thoughts about this?

Here's an example of why I'm asking ... does it look as though this candle is lit?

photo on a reddit thread

Edited by birdcharm

Luckily the photo is a pretty high resolution so I can zoom in and see that it's NOT lit.  What looks like a flame is just the reflection of the light on the glass; the wick has actually collapsed against the glass.

But I absolutely share your concern...just because this person wisely didn't light it, it doesn't mean someone else won't.  Especially with the warmers that warm from the bottom of the candle rather than the top (and those already make me a little nervous, at least for glass containers.)

(Which doesn't answer your question whether it's safe.  I can't answer that part, but I know it scares me enough that I wouldn't do it personally.  And luckily I'm just a hobbyist so I don't have to worry about what my customers might do...)

Screenshot - 4_21_2024 , 4_26_08 PM.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BenderSF said:

Luckily the photo is a pretty high resolution so I can zoom in and see that it's NOT lit.

Thanks ... I can see that now, good to know.  I guess the thought of warmers is a bit concerning because I read an article where someone's candle flared up and it seemed as though it had been placed under what looked to be halogen lamps.  This would naturally make a candle much hotter than it is supposed to get.

Since I'm not familiar with using a candle warmer, it makes me wonder about various candle sizes and types of wax and if they are as safe with a warmer versus being burned.  I know it sounds backwards! 

As a follow up to this, I did a little more research (I know, I'm late to the party!), and I've found a couple of things I thought I'd share here.  One is that I see that some candle makers have added a warning in their safety guidelines in regard to candle warmers, noting not to burn a candle while placing it on a warmer.  Another is that some posters here a long time ago said that tins (in their opinion) were fine for warmers, but they didn't like to idea of placing a glass candle on one (the type that warms from the bottom). 

My thought is that I think it's an absolute waste to place a wicked candle on a warmer!  Do these people have any idea what it takes to wick a candle?  🤪

On a more serious note, wickless candles would be better, imo, I think some may have more scent in them too.  Who knows, maybe I'll make some wickless tins some day!  I guess I would use a higher percentage of fragrance, any tips would be appreciated!

• Like 2

So, here I go again with more questions, information (or half-information!), concerns, whatever! 

My main objective here is to investigate this enough to inform myself about the safest practices, and those are not necessarily what you always see promoted or how some people choose to go about things.  I did a search about candle warmer safety and read a few blogs & websites.  I've seen it noted that "some waxes" are not specifically safe for use for warmers.  I've yet to find what waxes those are, however.  One of my searches offered this thread on reddit -- Candle Lamp Safety ... and it says that Yankee Candles has received some negative reports in regard to use of candle warmers.  A few issues were discussed in the thread, which I find interesting.

After some of my reading, I guess adding "not for use with a candle warmer" might be a consideration on some types of candles.  My guess is that to make a safe wickless candle for a warmer, harder waxes are better.  I have some cute containers that I think would make nice candle warmer candles, but it would be good to know what I'm doing first.  I'll keep reading.