Tricks & Tips

I've recently "invented" (probably not) a couple of methods of doing things that I hadn't done before or never had a chance to read about, so I'm going to share them.  If you have some of your own, please feel free to comment!  🙂

I make some jar candles that do well with a certain size wick that I purchased pre-tabbed, so there is leftover wick after it's been clipped.  I save all my leftover wick remnants and wrap a little paper around them with the size for any future use in a shorter jar that might require the same size wick.  Last night, I was making a candle in a shorter jar that was a bit on the wide side that could use one of the leftovers from a taller jar, but the leftover was just a bit too short for pouring (only came to the top of the jar, no way to secure).  So I looked around and found a tube from a spray bottle that was pretty small in diameter, like a thin straw ... it fit right over the end of the wick.  With a little piece of tape, I was able to insert about 1/4"+ of the tip of the wick into the tube, which temporarily "lengthened" the wick, then secured it into place to pour the candle.  Now I can clip the wick down to size and I got to use a leftover.

• Like 2

Good idea!  I also use the leftover wicks pieces.  Instead of a piece of paper to note the size, I place them in their own sized labeled cardboard tp roll.  Put tape or cellophane on the bottom so they don't fall out.  I have a basket of  tp rolls with different sizes of  wick shorties.  

• Like 1

I love that idea about the cardboard rolls! 

Another way to recycle some cardboard for those who need to insulate jars ... reuse cylinder containers by cutting off the tops to size them down to the height you need, punch a hole in the center of the bottom, then turn it upside down to use it to cover your cooling candle, with the wick through the hole.  (Two canister style containers that come to mind are from oatmeal and salt.)

• Like 1