Wicking Apothecary Jar Help

AudraT

Anyone use apothecary jars for their candles? I am currently trying to add a 4 inch diameter apothecary jar (holds about 16 oz) to my products and it has been a devil to wick. I am wondering if anyone can help me out? I am trying to double wick the jar and I find the wicks are way to hot or the wicks have a very weak flame and snuff themselves out. Actually, the weak flame wicks start out fine but then, after burning for a while, they begin to get very weak and snuff out. Can anyone help me out?
I am currently testing with American Soy Organics Freedom Soy Wax and FO at 10%. I've used both this wax and FO before. I've used double ECO-4's, CD-3's, CD-4's, and LX-10 wicks.

ECO wicks were to hot. The melt pool was to deep and the neck of the jar (the narrowest part of the jar) was very hot.
LX wicks started out to hot before it became weak and snuffed itself out.
CD3 and CD4 wicks both started out fine before snuffing themselves out. I relit the CD4 wick and the flames became very weak again. I used a spoon to remove some of the melted wax and the flames became strong again. It is currently burning with the CD4 wicks at this time.
I've attempted a single ECO-16 wick and single CD-24 wick but they were not quite hot enough (tunneling). I am hesitant to try anything bigger than CD-24.

Edited by AudraT

Have you experimented with spacing the wicks at different distances.  Sometimes with jars like that, placing two smallish wicks with the tabs practically overlapping helps spread the energy and keep the candle lit a bit better

apothecary jars with the neck area are usually a big challenge to wick well. Anything more than 3” is a double pain in the butt. 

you could also try the cottonwood wicks.  They are a wide, flat natural fiber wick that often plays well with veggie waxes. 

• Like 2

I like the idea of placing them really close. I think the smaller wicks are a little too small, but the larger wicks can make the glass to hot. If I make the larger wicks closer together this might solve both problems.
Originally I choose the apothecary jar because of the aesthetics and because they are made in America.

• Like 1

Can't seem to edit my comment for some reason, I meant to say I'll place the smaller wicks closer together. Placing larger wicks closer together would probably help too but I'm going with the smaller wicks first. The CD6 wicks seem like a very good size, but the flames eventually get very tiny. A little too tiny. I'm currently experimenting with placing them closer together to see how the candle reacts.

• Like 1