Hot process soap: is a 2-quart crockpot too small for a 2-lb recipe?

BenderSF

I've made cold process soap a handful of times now, and I'm preparing to try hot process for the first time.  I've done a bunch of reading so I think I have a gameplan, except for one thing.

Can I safely use a 2-quart (8 cup) crockpot to make a 2-pound loaf?  A 2-quart mixing bowl is the perfect size for my 2-lb cold process batches, but I know hot process can tend to volcano, so I'm wondering if a 2-quart crockpot will be cutting it a bit too close.  All of the videos I've seen show a larger recipe with a full-sized crock pot (probably 6-quart), but I don't want to make that large a recipe.

They do make 3- and 4- quart sizes, too.  That would give me some extra breathing space, but I'll never make a larger recipe than 2 pounds so I'd rather not waste the cupboard space unless I have to.

Any advice?

I would either cut the recipe in half or use a bigger crock pot.  The hot soap expands quite a bit, even without getting to the volcano state.  You will want room to stir it down without splashing is over. 

you could also make it In a  microwave. It’s a little quicker an you can use other pitchers if things get expanded too much for your comfort. 

Thanks, @TallTayl!

In that case, I'll go with a 4-quart crockpot to give the soap more space.  I love the microwave idea, especially since I probably won't do hot process very often, but my (built-in) microwave was put in the most inconvenient spot possible, so I know it would end up being more difficult than it should be.  😆