Apothecary Jar Question

I’m thinking about trying out an apothecary jar because I like the cottage-y look about them with a flat lid. Still pretty new to candle making, I am slightly concerned about container temp due to the “dip” at the top of these jars. I’ve recently had some minor successes in candle tins with container temp but could see how these jars would heat up at the top. I’m not married to the idea of using them and may just try a tumbler instead if this is a real PITA. 😆 just curious to hear anyones experience with them. 

Thank you in advance!

Bailey

You have such good instincts 😊

Any “neck” forms a chimney in the jar. You will want to underwick to compensate. Most original candles made in these jars way back when single wick and allow for a narrowish melt pool. The wax from the sides heats well and slips down into the pool. 

mccalls candles uses this type of jar and single wicks never intending for a FMP ever during the life of the candle. 

Ah thank you! That’s kind of what I suspected. I initially thought double wick but then was looking at a yankee candle and wondering if that’s why they single wick it. I’ll have to see if the excess heat helps with underwicking. I’m just using 464 as I learn but thinking of branching into other territory. Will also have to check out McCalls. 

I was thinking that the chimney aspect may help with scent throw. I’m noticing in the tins the top of the candle doesn’t throw as well as the bottom. The bottom does heat up more so it could just be the bigger melt pool rather than the height of the tin. Or both. I’m able to accomplish this while keeping the tin around 100 degrees or so. 

I do like tins and how they look as well. I like that they are lighter in weight and won’t shatter if something went haywire. 

im a glutton for punishment though and will likely try the apothecary jar at some point lol

Tins are surprisingly hard to wick. They are too wide for the height proportion.  

it ALL depends on your wax, wick and fragrances in the end, though so …

mccalls is close to igi4786 in feel.  It could also be just mottling paraffin. That kind of wax likes to stay in a gel state.  Soy, as you have seen, goes through several stages from liquid to mush to semi solid to solid.  You may need to adjust the expectation of how your candle burns compared to commercial, but I know you’ll figure it out.  

• Like 1

Thank you! That’s what I think I’m finding with the tins. I  know it’s a lot of trial and error and testing, testing.. and some more testing. I’ve only made it as far as I have due to the generosity of everyone here. 

I agree that the expectation may be off. Soy won’t burn like anything but soy so some of my comparisons may not be fair. Probably especially with hot throw vs a paraffin candle.  

• Like 1