Ever had perfectly good and tested candles start tunneling suddenly?

7 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

I know exactly what you mean. I wick consecutively and I used to fear customers would consider the candle a dud if they didn't get a big melt pool and a knock your socks off throw immediately. In my attempts to create a safe power-burnable candle, I found out that more conservative wicking truly does make a superior candle. One that burns cleaner and produces a more pure scent - from top to bottom.  I've never had anyone complain about lack of throw but I have had customers remark on how clean and "perfect" the candle burned from top to bottom. It took me a really really really long time (years) to get here :)

I gauge my scent throw via how well it scents a room, 3 inch diameter candle in a 10 x 10 ft room, once the candle has reached maybe a 2.5 inch melt pool. I assume that if I'm expecting a strong HT with a melt pool smaller than that then I'm expecting to much out of the FO. Maybe my standards for FO are too low?

I start testing with a candle just above halfway point. Then see how that burns, then make a full size and burn top to bottom.

Also depends on candle jar. You can go for bigger wick if it isn’t too deep, but if you have deep jar the heat from the jar depth you will need smaller wick. The candle jar height holds in heat. Try shallow tin versus taller candle jar.