White marks on pillar candles

I make Paraffin wax pillar candles using Silicone molds. I am getting white marks on the candles (see pictures). Pre-formulated waxes are not available in my area so I have to use straight Paraffin wax. I use the following formulation: 11% Stearin and 89% Paraffin wax. I have varied my pouring temperature from 90 to 96 degrees Celsius, pre-heated the molds using heat gun, wrapped the molds in aluminum foil but the marks are still there. Thanks in advance for any advice.

candle 1.jpeg

candle 2.jpeg

Looks like mottling, which is a normal characteristic of paraffin without additives. You can control it somewhat using a high % of stearic, which I see you are doing, and experimenting to find the optimal pour temp and cooling rate. Have you considered allowing them to fully mottle, rather than working against the natural inclination of the wax?  Mottled pillars are beautiful.

Those look kind of interesting, actually!  I wonder if it could have anything to do with the stearic acid not incorporating fully into the wax ...?

I don't make many pillar candles, but is it necessary to warm molds for pillar candles or wrap in foil?  I thought that was for some container candles (although I prefer other methods than foil) and for pillars to give a lukewarm water or semi-cool water bath (w/o getting exposed wax or wick wet) to make them shiny.

21 hours ago, bfroberts said:

Looks like mottling, which is a normal characteristic of paraffin without additives. You can control it somewhat using a high % of stearic, which I see you are doing, and experimenting to find the optimal pour temp and cooling rate. Have you considered allowing them to fully mottle, rather than working against the natural inclination of the wax?  Mottled pillars are beautiful.

15 hours ago, birdcharm said:

Those look kind of interesting, actually!  I wonder if it could have anything to do with the stearic acid not incorporating fully into the wax ...?

I don't make many pillar candles, but is it necessary to warm molds for pillar candles or wrap in foil?  I thought that was for some container candles (although I prefer other methods than foil) and for pillars to give a lukewarm water or semi-cool water bath (w/o getting exposed wax or wick wet) to make them shiny.

Thanks for your replies. Can you suggest any additive to avoid these marks. Please note that vybar is not available in my area.

28 minutes ago, WH CandleMaker said:

Thanks for your replies. Can you suggest any additive to avoid these marks. Please note that vybar is not available in my area.

Vybar is the only additive I know of that will reliably prevent mottling. I would try adjusting the cooling rate. When I want to encourage mottling in containers, I heat my jars and cool slowly. If I don't, the wax doesn't mottle.  Perhaps pouring into cool molds and cooling the candles under a fan?? It might be worth a shot if you have no means to get vybar. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bfroberts said:

...  Perhaps pouring into cool molds and cooling the candles under a fan??...

In my opinion, pouring in cool mold will increase cooling rate which will increase the mottling. Am I correct?

Actually I have solved the problem. I was using a mixture of two paraffin grades - crystalline and non-crystalline. Increasing the percentage of the non-crystalline one eliminated the spots but the candles are slightly inferior in terms of performance (they tend to spill more frequently). Will have to go with the formulation for the time being. Thanks for sparing your time.

37 minutes ago, WH CandleMaker said:

In my opinion, pouring in cool mold will increase cooling rate which will increase the mottling. Am I correct?

Actually I have solved the problem. I was using a mixture of two paraffin grades - crystalline and non-crystalline. Increasing the percentage of the non-crystalline one eliminated the spots but the candles are slightly inferior in terms of performance (they tend to spill more frequently). Will have to go with the formulation for the time being. Thanks for sparing your time.

For me, cooling quick eliminates the mottling. I have to pour hot and cool very slowly to get full mottling, but I am using a container wax and it may react differently. I really don't know.
Glad you found a workaround.

8 hours ago, bfroberts said:

For me, cooling quick eliminates the mottling. I have to pour hot and cool very slowly to get full mottling, but I am using a container wax and it may react differently. I really don't know.
Glad you found a workaround.

Thanks for clarifying. Will try this one.