2022 wooden wicks

I've avoided wooden wicks ever since I bought hundreds from wooden wick.com and had tons of complaints that they didn't burn. It didn't seem like good business to tell customers to smash the tops or trim them before burning.

So now I see that there are many more wooden wicks on the market. And I just had a customer request wooden wicks on their store order. So...just wondering if anyone has found reliable wooden wicks lately? Thanks in advance!

On 4/4/2022 at 1:19 PM, TallTayl said:

I’m curious how other sources would get around the lumetique trademarks and patents. The patents are pretty broad and far reaching. 

Maybe many of them are made by the same company? I buy some from other countries that look nothing like the lumiteque ones - so maybe those patents are not fully defensible…or tested? 

As far as woodenwick.com goes, if that’s their patent for wicks that won’t even light, not sure how great their idea was in the first place. I am debating soaking my wicks in mineral oil…have you actually done it? I don’t even know where to get mineral oil! 

Edited by candlesinflorida

49 minutes ago, candlesinflorida said:

Maybe many of them are made by the same company? I buy some from other countries that look nothing like the lumiteque ones - so maybe those patents are not fully defensible…or tested? 

As far as woodenwick.com goes, if that’s their patent for wicks that won’t even light, not sure how great their idea was in the first place. I am debating soaking my wicks in mineral oil…have you actually done it? I don’t even know where to get mineral oil! 

I’ll need to revisit the many (many!) lumetique patents to see where the limitations are as far as wicks sold in the us regardless of country of origin. That  was hard to slog through the first time, lol. 

lumetique sun seems to be most interested in defending their patent than providing a super product. They did change manufacturing partners over time as wick facilities closed, moved or were acquired. Who knows which company made with of the crappy versus “ok” wick batches.

when I use the wooden wicks I learned to prime them in my presto pot using the wax used in the candle. I drop the wicks into the hot wax, and hold them under until they stop releasing bubbles.  That seemed to work fairly reliably.  The rest of the luck came down to Mother Nature and how that specific bit of wood grew in the tree. 
i really miss the engineered wicks that looked like sawdust glued together with a shiny adhesive.  Wonder why they stopped making them?