Pen Ink?

Miss Mise

Hello all, I’m coming to all of you with a question that has me stumped. I make commission candles, and I’ve been tasked to make a candle for a writing major- pen and paper! I have some experience with NG’s “money” scent for the parchment/paper, but I can’t find anything that will smell like ink. It can resemble either fancy India ink, or just Bic ballpoint pen ink. I’m trying to stay away from sandalwood and other masculine scents, although I am not against blending in a small quantity to add complexity. 
I’ve only been actively making and selling for about 18 months now, so I know that many of you are way more knowledgeable about vendors and their products than I am. I know that I could have a blend made, but I am trying to keep costs low, since it’s only one candle. If anyone has come across a FO with ink notes, even if it isn’t expressly sold as “ink”, I would be extremely grateful! Everyone has been so kind and supportive on this site, and it’s greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

PS- I know that SOS springs to mind whenever we think of “odd” scents, but I’d rather not use them unless someone can vouch for their quality an a specific item. I’ve had terrible luck with them in the past, and something in their oils make my eyes itch. Thanks again!

You know there are FOs that smell like books or the library. Does it have to be ink? I've never come across that one before.

If I were trying to make an ink scent I would go with a blend of something bitter/tart with something sweet like tart lime and sweet cherry. Add an earthy note like oakmoss or patchouli to give it depth. Or maybe add the library/book scent to make a paper & ink scent.

I'm trying to think of what has a bitter note and nothing comes to mind at the moment. But to me ink has a blend of notes that are both sweet, dry, earthy, water, with a hint of bitter. 

Printing ink is made with soot, turpentine, and walnut oil. I tried looking up india ink but don't get any descriptions of scent notes.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Candybee! I took your suggestions as a jumping off point, and it really helped! I had to blend a few scents together until I was satisfied, but the key ingredient ended up being Indigo's Motor Oil! It sounds so strange, but I went through my giant box of random sample oils, and that scent had the metallic/chemical scent I was looking for to replicate ink. Thanks for your help!