494 wax

I've started using 494 with 12% fragrance load.  I haven't used it's full Fragrance load. 10%- 11% is what I'm using.  I have NO HOT throw.  None.

I add FO at 175 170 if it drops to 160 I put back in my double boiler stir for 3 and pull back out.  Should I stop this?  I don't smell the FO when I do it.  Just trying to make sure FO and wax are mixed properly.  😩   Is there something I'm missing??   

You really don't need that much FO to get a good throw.  Adding FO at lower than recommended temps can create problems.  Heat the wax to the recommended 185˚, add FO, stir 2 minutes or so and pour at the recommended pour temp.  Cure for a while and then test.  
If you still have no throw, try a different FO.  I assume you are purchasing FO from a reputable supplier??? Some don't throw well in soy, some are naturally light scents and some are just duds all the way around.

• Like 2

The FO's I'm using I have used before.  And yes from a reputable supplier. Great hot throw. But I was using a parasoy wax.  I loved it!! And actually am thinking of going back to it.  I thought a higher scent load meant better throw.  Haha..jokes in me looks like.  I use to get offended by that statement but definitely not anymore.  I see why it's asked.  So no cool down time which Is how I was doing it. 🙃  ugh..is soy really this temperamental??

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mysticmonday21 said:

The FO's I'm using I have used before.  And yes from a reputable supplier. Great hot throw. But I was using a parasoy wax.  I loved it!! And actually am thinking of going back to it.  I thought a higher scent load meant better throw.  Haha..jokes in me looks like.  I use to get offended by that statement but definitely not anymore.  I see why it's asked.  So no cool down time which Is how I was doing it. 🙃  ugh..is soy really this temperamental??

You can make great melts with soy without high FO loads.  Try adding your FO at higher temp. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Mysticmonday21 said:

melts..494 is a melt only wax.  

It’s advertised for pillars also, so had to ask. 

Manufacturer recommends 10-14 day cure time. If it’s not throwing after that, it points to a fragrance oil issue/incompatibility with the wax, and/or your wax warmer not being the right temp.