Lowering melt point

LilFirecracker

I've been testing many, many, MANY different combos and different percentages of 4625, 4630, 4633, and 4794 for melts. It seems so far the ones that last the longest are the ones made with a higher percentage of 4625. Melt points would probably be too high for some lower wattage warmers. Would adding a small amount of Crisco, Vaseline, or mineral oil help? How would adding one of these affect scent throw?

Edited by LilFirecracker

If thinking of using an additive why not try either coconut oil or petrolatum. These two are more typical wax additives some candlemakers use to lower the MP of container waxes. Just start off with a very small amount like 1-5%. Some people swear coconut oil helps improve HT but I never found it to be the case. If this is for container candles remember that using either can increase your soot and even make the candle smoke when burning so use the least % possible to achieve your temp goal.

Or are you asking about lowing the temp for wax melts? I found a slightly harder wax like a pillar, votive, or tart wax to work the best for wax melts. I want the finished melt to pop out or slide right out of the warmer when its cooled so the customer does not have to dig it out or liquify it to remove. 

The more I read, the more I'm leaning toward the Vaseline. It's 100% white petrolatum that I have. It's for melts. I'm still testing many combos, but the ones that are doing the best are the ones that include a high percentage of 4625 that has a MP of 142. I'm wanting to lower the MP without reducing the scent throw. I was actually coming back to edit and remove mineral oil. I'm nixing that idea. 

As for coconut oil...I have some here. It does have a coconut smell. Would that affect the end result of the scent? If I use Patchouli, would I end up with a Coconut Patchouli? 🤣

Reminder that I suggested only a very small % of coconut oil. No it would not produce a coconut scent.

Not sure why you are wanting to lower the MP of your wax. 4625 is already a blended paraffin wax which has had its original MP lowered already due to its blending. It doesn't need any additives as they are already included.

Are you trying to avoid a second pour? Do you need a second pour for your melts? If so, have you tried pouring at a lower temp first? I ask because I try to avoid using additives on already blended waxes as it tends to take away or spoil the wax properties rather than enhancing it. 

21 hours ago, Candybee said:

Reminder that I suggested only a very small % of coconut oil. No it would not produce a coconut scent.

Not sure why you are wanting to lower the MP of your wax. 4625 is already a blended paraffin wax which has had its original MP lowered already due to its blending. It doesn't need any additives as they are already included.

Are you trying to avoid a second pour? Do you need a second pour for your melts? If so, have you tried pouring at a lower temp first? I ask because I try to avoid using additives on already blended waxes as it tends to take away or spoil the wax properties rather than enhancing it. 

No, that's not it. Of course nothing is set in stone yet, still have a lot of testing to do. 4625 alone & 4625 combos with 4630 & 4633 are giving me the best hot throws for the longest amount of time. But only the combos where 4625 is at 70% or more. 4625 has a MP of 142 and the small percentage of container wax added just isn't enough to bring that MP down low enough for these low wattage warmers some people have. I want a melt that everyone will be able use and enjoy. I do plan on selling in the future and really making a name for myself. So I only want the best! 😃 It does help that I LOVE what I do - I always have! I've been so down and depressed for the last few years, and I've been thinking about getting this started after a 20-year candle-making hiatus. Now that I've finally held my head high and said "That's enough. I've had it. It's time to do something!" Idk... it's like that black cloud that's been hanging over me for a few years just disappeared. I'm so in my element when I'm working on my melts. My family and even my family doctor noticed a difference in me. Saw my doctor Monday and he asked me what's been going on lately because I have that sparkle in my eyes back that he hasn't seen in years. Then I told him. It just makes me feel so good that people are noticing how happy this is making me!! 😃

I hope for the best for you. Testing a lot only helps you learn more about your wax and wax blends performance. Always a good thing!

One suggestion before you go to sell, test out a melt then let it cool completely. See how easy or difficult it is to get the wax out. My melts slip out whole with a simple push of one finger. So when I am finished with a melt, I just slip it out and toss it in the trash. This is one of the reasons you want a pillar, tart, or votive wax that has a higher melt point with a little shrinkage as it cools. Thats why my melts slip out with a touch of one finger in one whole piece. Excellent HT is not the only quality you look for, a customer looks for, in a wax melt.

As a customer I can tell you I don't like melts that have to be dug out and if I buy one that does than I never buy from that buyer again.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

Thanks Candybee! I'm already eyeing that as I remove one tester and put in another. Whatever makes it to the next round will be noted more closely. I played around with 4625 and petrolatum just wax only the past couple of days and I was honestly shocked that it will slide out of a clamshell easier than anything I've used so far. I was expecting the opposite. I guess it was its own lube! 😂