WICK RECOMMENDATIONS

Hello candle makers! I need recommendations on which wicks to use in a 16oz apothecary jar and 464 soy wax. I want to use 3 wicks.  I tested 3 cd 6 but the top was melted within 30 minutes and the jar got super hot. Obviously, they’re too big. 

Edited by Pilar

• Pilar changed the title to WICK RECOMMENDATIONS

464 is a super soft wax….at least it was years ago …3 CD 6 wicks is ginormous - way too much wick

Are you dead set on 3 wicks? That seems overkill to me for that jar….2 would be plenty 

If you do decide on 2 wicks I would try the size 4 or maybe 5 in CD- if your set on 3 use size 2 or 3 for a starting point 

• Thanks 1

That size and shape jar will, at most, support double wicks. 

multiple wicks generate exponentially more heat. You can try cd3 or 4, but my gut and experience says those will not be able to consume the melted wax in balance with the heat generated which is melting the wax.  This throws the cycle out of whack.

pull one of those cd6 and see if the double will work.  Play with the spacing to keep a balanced pool. Always keep wicks away from the outer third of the jar to minimize glass breakage during a burn. 

another trick with soy is to try the CDN series.  In soy they burn a bit cooler than cd of the same size.  CDN have an extra chemical treatment which keeps them viable in some waxes and fo with high acid value. In all of my burn tests, they burn hotter than their CD companion in coconut type blends, but a bit on the cooler side in soy if they stay lit.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

A question - why not single wick the jar?

We used to wick these jars with either a single CDN 22 or 24 depending on the scent. I used to hate double wicking so unless I could get an oil to perform well single wicked, it did not get done in that jar type.

Cheers

Richard