Wick test questions

Lawlaw410

So I recently found out that I could pour a candle without the wick, take a skewer and poke a hole, and wick my candle that way so if it fails, I can remove it and try a new one. I have some questions about this process:

1. If you re place a wick half way down, then you don’t really have a full candle’s worth of testing on it, so does is this method even worth it?

2. once the wick is down to 2” or less in length, it’s not stabilized, can move around after being extinguished and they’ve also just flopped over because they’re not tabbed. 

4. If I go the traditional wicking route, is it ok to re melt wax with no FO or dye if the wick fails? 

thank you!

1 hour ago, Lawlaw410 said:

So I recently found out that I could pour a candle without the wick, take a skewer and poke a hole, and wick my candle that way so if it fails, I can remove it and try a new one. I have some questions about this process:

1. If you re place a wick half way down, then you don’t really have a full candle’s worth of testing on it, so does is this method even worth it?

<<very true, but you DO have a knockout list of poorly suited wicks, so there is benefit.  When wicking new from the top the ideal wick from the half way Mark might not be perfect, but you will be MUCH closer.>>

2. once the wick is down to 2” or less in length, it’s not stabilized, can move around after being extinguished and they’ve also just flopped over because they’re not tabbed. 

<< short wicks, and soft waxes benefit from a tab.  A “wickectomy” makes swapping them fast, easy  and safe.

4. If I go the traditional wicking route, is it ok to re melt wax with no FO or dye if the wick fails? 
yes.

thank you!

my replies above in red large within the quoted area...

Thank you so much. You’re right about having a “knockout” list, and I suppose I got some decent data about what not to use.   

quick question if you see this: are there any other wicks suited for coconut wax besides CD, ECO, or wood? Thanks again 🙂

11 minutes ago, Lawlaw410 said:

Thank you so much. You’re right about having a “knockout” list, and I suppose I got some decent data about what not to use.   

quick question if you see this: are there any other wicks suited for coconut wax besides CD, ECO, or wood? Thanks again 🙂

I lean to CDN in most coconut waxes.