Safe scented oils for liquid soap

Kenken01

Hi, I have a question for those who are soap makers/ or know about soaps and essential oils. Im looking to start my liquid soap line. and I'm trying to find oils that are scented and safe to use on the body. Such as peppermint, citrus, lavender, rose etc. I have messed around with peppermint oil and a liquid based soap. But I don't know what I did wrong. the solution was too watery and barely was able to smell the peppermint. An I using the wrong oil? and wrong measurements? Like what I have been trying to find is a pure scented oil that I can add in small amounts to the liquid soap without making It too watery. Please help... thanks :(

10 minutes ago, Kenken01 said:

Hi, I have a question for those who are soap makers/ or know about soaps and essential oils. Im looking to start my liquid soap line. and I'm trying to find oils that are scented and safe to use on the body. Such as peppermint, citrus, lavender, rose etc. I have messed around with peppermint oil and a liquid based soap. But I don't know what I did wrong. the solution was too watery and barely was able to smell the peppermint. An I using the wrong oil? and wrong measurements? Like what I have been trying to find is a pure scented oil that I can add in small amounts to the liquid soap without making It too watery. Please help... thanks :(

Liquid soap is actually very tricky to scent. Depending upon what is in your soap itself, reactions like what you saw with peppermint can happen with many fragrances and essential oils. citrus and many others Cause instant thinning. Some thin over days or weeks. Some cause total separation. 

It’s a chemical reaction that is causing the electrical bonds between your soap molecules and the water to loosen. You can try thickeners such as liquid crothix or brine solution to re-thicken.  it will be trial and error to find the amount needed for each particular batch. 

Lavender And fragrances with lavender components, on the other hand, often makes many liquid soap  formulations turn to a thick jelly. 

For each batch of soap you make and bottle, be 100% certain to observe over time. Some of these will slowly change to often dramatic ends. 

good luck!