It finally happened...

Sponiebr

Welp! The unthinkable finally got me. But a little backstory first... 

I was in a soaping group that had... (how shall I say this?) some "disquiet souls" amongst it's membership. Me being a man did nothing to help that situation. I'm not at all shy about admitting the fact that as a man I am unequivocally and (sometimes) irreparably aclueistic about certain things, especially things explicitly feminine in nature. 

So one fine day a post was made regarding using human breast milk as an additive for soap. This curdled my grits upon seeing it. (STAHP! come on... I'm a DUDE...) I wasn't deterred from investigating this idea however. I approached it from a rational and practical perspective. Use it like you would any fresh milk. It's OBVIOUS. HOWEVER, I thought (AT THAT TIME) it was a bit.... uh... let's call it "wasteful", e.g. that the baby fuel would be better used and more appreciated by the baby. I mean any additional benefits the milk would have would just be denatured by the soaping process and even if they weren't it wouldn't have much (if any) benefit about the exterior of the aforementioned baby. Unfortunately for me I had a momentary lapse of reason, forgetting WHERE I was at, and voiced my thoughts in writing.  The "disquieted souls" turned upon me in much the same way that the residents of a formicary turn upon a baby bird dropped upon their roof. Needless to say, my confusion was NOT  appreciated. I didn't stay past the 5th day to hear anymore opinions about my character. 

Fast forward to present day. 

I've often thought about that incident and have cone to some interesting conclusions about making human breast milk soap. I suppose it could be, if nothing else, an incredibly short lived  chance for the mother to do something special for their child that they could never do again.  In that stream of thought I think the concept quite beautiful.  

Karma apparantly caught wind of my musings and so I was approached to make human breast milk soap.  

I was quite surprised by my experience using this rare additive. The first thing I noticed was that human breast milk is some BUTTERY STUFF. I mean the bags* were literally slippery with fat content. (*plastic bags of the zip seal variety, just to be clear) According to my web research human milk is also fairly high in sugar content. Both of these things are excellent additives to soap. 

Anyway I added the thawed milk directly to chilled lye solution (I premake my lye solution with silk and sugar already added) and let it work it's differences out with the lye before soaping.  

Upshot was it soaped PERFECTLY. It cut like a dream. It's probably the most mild and one nicest soaps I think I've ever made. 

Yet again, the answers that have previously eluded me come to light if given enough time. 

In other news I've been "busy" as of late but thus time I'm ACTUALLY busy with what I've been wanting to be busy with... Thank God.  (and I mean every word of that last sentence.)

I've got another post to make pursuant to my busyness. 

Slainte,

Sponiebr 

The Executor of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

I've often thought about that incident and have cone to some interesting conclusions about making human breast milk soap. I suppose it could be, if nothing else, an incredibly short lived  chance for the mother to do something special for their child that they could never do again.  In that stream of thought I think the concept quite beautiful.  

Slainte,

Sponiebr 

The Executor of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services 

That IS a beautiful thought, better than my initial "ICK" thought.   Glad you made it clear about the bags  :)   

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

I know what that forum.  I have not been there is 2 years, there is too much drama and fighting for my taste. I did learn a lot from them when I first started there. 

I personally find that idea gross, and I am a woman.  Maybe is mind conditioning.  I know we use other milks for soap, but they are all pasteurized.