Mike Hartwig

Hi we are getting into candle making. When watching people make them on youtube, i never see people pour into the container on a scale. 

They just eyeball it to the fill line.eaning there can be some gram differences from product to product.

If i advertise something that says 100 grams and send out something that weighs 98 grams, isnt thay false advertising?

Solution is to pour each candle on the scale, but it is such a slow workflow. 

How do you do this in your candlemaking?

You are not going to get into big trouble by being 2% off.  But, it is always good practice to be on safe side.  I know where my fill line is, and most of my candles are 10.3 to 10.6oz.  But I label it as 10oz net weight.

We pick a height on the jar that always meets the minimum stated weight. Some FO are slightly lighter than others, so we pick the lightest and go from there. Too much over the weight cuts into thin margins.

for some containers, I have poured on a scale, but it sure takes a lot of time! And the splash risk is crazy 😜 we handle candles way too many times during the manufacturing process as it is. 

big operations have measured pours from the hose of the melter equipment. Pull a trigger and the measured “dose” automatically dispenses. 

I’ve seen some clever tricks for small operations, like marking a clothespin with the pour height. Pour a jar to the correct weight, then clamp a wooden clothes pin on the rim until the tip is just over the hot wax line. Mark the clothespin with a line at the height of the jar rim.

when pouring new candles Clip the pin on the container rim at the line marked, and pour until you reach the pin. Move the pin to the next jar.