My first votives, test burn and wick question.

My first votives. I used LX 12 wicks. IGI 4625 wax. 6% FO. I had no dye but intend to use it in the future when I get some. This size wick seemed to perform well as far as the melt pool at the1 hour mark, the 2 hour mark and the 4 hour mark. HOWEVER it need to be trimmed at about 2 hour intervals. The melt pool was what I read I should look for at all intervals.  But at the 2 hour intervals, the flame was a bit too high, began to flicker somewhat and produced just a little soot. This was eliminated with a little trim. BUT, I should not have to trim wicks while it burning should I? Does this indicate too large a wick? How much might the addition of dye impact this? As far as the LX wicks - I almost think that sizing down to the  10 would be too small ( not to mention I can't even find them right now). I will try the 12 wick again when I receive my dye - but your thought would be appreciated. Any other recommendations would also be appreciated. The wick burned with a nice curl and no mushrooming.  Thanks in advance! 

Edited by silverRaven

• silverRaven changed the title to My first votives, test burn and wick question.

Hard to diagnose without photos, but from your description, if you need to trim during a burn the wick does sound too large for the specific candle. If the flame grows noticeably during a burn, it may be too large, or the wrong series for the wax/fo/container combo. 

I view melt pool depth as a limit, not a goal. 

Here's a couple pics - these were taken at 1 & 1/2 hrs into this candles second burn. Wick already needs trimming - flame kinda big. Would the addition of dye impact this much? This is one of the wicks suggested by various guides that I found - for the size and wax. I understand that does not guarantee it is the right wick. Can you suggest where to go from here? . Thanks so much (sorry these are so big - not sure how to resize them)

ps -.I also took a 15 second video but being I'm on data where I live - that will have to wait, not sure the file can be accepted here anyway (??)

IMG_6769.JPG

IMG_6770.JPG

Edited by silverRaven