Which Wax is best for beginner candles making.

fiheve

Guest SmellsSoSweet

I am also brand new to candle making, so take this for what it is worth. I started with Golden Brand 464 because i wanted to try soy, it was readily available and there was a good amount of information on it. However, if you know you want to use a coconut, paraffin or parasoy you would clearly want to try something else. What are you looking for? I think the reason you aren’t getting answers is because your question is so open ended. Everyone has different things they see as being important. Some people loath frosting and pitted tops and are willing to do a second pour, other people are fine with some rough tops as long as it is a single pour. It is all personal preference.

5 hours ago, fiheve said:

Hello guys i am new in candles making and i am beginner of candle making can you  answer my question. which wax best for  candle making please answer my question.

This is a very personal choice. Much comes down to what is available to you, the type of candle you want to make, and your personality and goals. I’m assuming container candles for this question,  but pillar candles are a similar set of decision points.

decide on one type of jar to begin with.  The easiest jar is one that is not too bi, not too small and taller than it is wide.  2.5” wide (inside measurement) and 3” tall with straight sides are a nice sweet spot to start with. 3” wide by 3”-4” tall are another reasonably easy to wick proportion. 

to learn the basics of container candles, an easy entry is gold old paraffin. IGI has so many to choose from. Many like IGI 4627 as it is very forgiving, takes color and scent well, and burns easily in a number of containers. IGI 4630 is a less messy, almost equally simple to start with paraffin.

if your goal is a “natural” candle you can choose between soy, palm, beeswax, coconut, etc.  for cost and easy accessibility, soy is pretty common.  AKO Soy (formerly golden brands) is where many start because it is a very easy entry point with plenty of suppliers. 464 is where most of us dip a toe. From there, people either are satisfied, or dissatisfied for any number of reasons and move on to 444, C3, C1, etc until they find one they can tolerate.

the middle of the road is parasoy. 6006 is common. 

in the end all waxes can throw well and all have their own issues to learn and work through. Your tolerance for annoying production problems will guide you. 

so... decide if you want to make scented container candles, then if you want to tackle a soy beast or paraffin dragon and go from there.

I would begin with waxes from suppliers that can be found easily and avoid hobby shop kits since we never know what is in them. 

then GRAS a big cup of whatever beverage you love most, and sit with this forum and deep dive into the wax you chose to learn the common questions and answers people share.

good luck on this chandling journey. It is frustrating, expensive to learn and very rewarding when you stick with it. 

• Like 1

I think it is a personal choice. Soy, paraffin, parasoy, the list goes on. When I started making candles in 2009, I researched online and finally settled on GW444 soy wax.  I'm still using 444 all these years later.

I never really experimented with other waxes, except once I bought GW464 because it was on sale.  :)  Maybe I should have tried other waxes, but 444 works for me.

Edited by GailC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...