Temperature to add FO when using Millennium Wax

I have been working with 464 with moderate success, but I found a supplier of Millennium Wax pretty close to me and thought I would give it a go as it would actually be cheeper.  All I am finding for the instructions are to heat to 160F, let cool to 130F, then add FO and stir.  Let cool to 110-115F  then pour.  I am still super new to this, but it just seem like adding the FO at that low of a temp would be less than ideal.  I made a small tester candle tonight using my normal method but with the millennium wax (heat to 185F, add FO at 180, cool to 110 and pour) and it is ugly! I have odd cracking on the bottom of the candle, sink holes and a rough top. I figure I should probably try using the manufacturers instructions next.  Has anyone worked with Millennium Wax and had a problem adding FO at 130F?  Any tips or tricks I should try?

Thanks!

Wow! Milennium wax close and less expensive than 464, say it isn’t so?! 🤪 that very rarely happens. 

after making thousands and thousands of candles of many different waxes, my conclusion is that shocking cooling wax with cold FO to somehow preserve the FO from flashing off is so not worth it. The Low temps of adding FO can cause too many issues to list here. I’ve dissected candles made with these “revolutionary” methods to discover ugly things inside that can become safety hazards if not extremely lucky.

the short versions: follow your instincts. Millenium is a soy blend. Soy blends can cause graining inside the candle which can seep fragrance with time. Pretty tops hide this problem until the candle is burned, and the flame hits a pool of seeped FO.

I add FO to all waxes toward the top of the melt range to ensure everything is homogenous from top to bottom. I heat those particular waxes (millenium, Midwest soy, etc) higher than 160 for small batches because they cool rapidly and set up unpredictably in cooler climates especially during winter.