Wick testing for scent throw

Hi everyone :) 

Is there a general rule or guideline for all waxes on deciding which wick is best for scent throw? How soon during wick testing do y’all decide “this one is it”, with all safety measures taken into consideration?

I’ve narrowed down my wick selection for my jar and wax down to 3 safe burning options. I’ve added the FO. Should I be able to decide on a wick by the first burn (~4 hours)? Preferably, I would want to decide based on scent throw within the first hour because if I purchase a candle, I want to smell it in the first hour. But my safe wick selections don’t have incredible scent throw, and some don’t even have a throw at all until the 3rd hour, and it’s minimal. 
what do y’all do in this case? I heat gun my candles to even out the tops when switching out wicks, so I think the FO% is fine because heat gunning creates the scent I want from a flame. But I’ve been avoiding over wicking! 
So how do you professionals decide?

for reference, I’m testing 444 & C3 wax using CD, HTP, & ECO wicks. FOs are from candle science & flaming candle. Testing at 6% in C3 & 8-9% in 444. Cured 2 weeks.

thanks!

14 hours ago, ambar said:

Hi everyone :) 

Is there a general rule or guideline for all waxes on deciding which wick is best for scent throw? How soon during wick testing do y’all decide “this one is it”, with all safety measures taken into consideration?

I’ve narrowed down my wick selection for my jar and wax down to 3 safe burning options. I’ve added the FO. Should I be able to decide on a wick by the first burn (~4 hours)? Preferably, I would want to decide based on scent throw within the first hour because if I purchase a candle, I want to smell it in the first hour. But my safe wick selections don’t have incredible scent throw, and some don’t even have a throw at all until the 3rd hour, and it’s minimal. 
what do y’all do in this case? I heat gun my candles to even out the tops when switching out wicks, so I think the FO% is fine because heat gunning creates the scent I want from a flame. But I’ve been avoiding over wicking! 
So how do you professionals decide?

for reference, I’m testing 444 & C3 wax using CD, HTP, & ECO wicks. FOs are from candle science & flaming candle. Testing at 6% in C3 & 8-9% in 444. Cured 2 weeks.

thanks!

I’m new here so not sure how to edit (or delete) my original post, but I found a recent thread stating that one should know within 30 minutes of lighting the candle if the hot throw is good enough 🙂

3 hours ago, TallTayl said:

It is all so subjective. Soy waxes that some time to get going.

Pouring with a bit more head space in the jar helps get the currents going faster.

Totally! But that’s actually really helpful, thank you!!