What is wrong with this SB1000 Wax?

Hi all! I began my candle making journey last month and I am now a woman obsessed. I have worked with C3, 464, IGI 6006 and PB 600. I like the 464 with ECO and HTP wicks and made a dozen successful candles with it BUT I prefer the look and hot throw of the 6006 and 600. If I had to play favorites, I’d say 600 because I am finding it easier to wick and a nice happy medium. So, of course, I got curious and wanted to try a soy blend from General Wax in California because I can pick it up in person and avoid the shipping fees from Flaming Candle. Well, I picked up 8 lbs of their SB1000 yesterday.

Description from the supplier website: Our SB 1000 soy blend has a very smooth surface and adheres well to glass wall containers. It consists of 60% soy wax and a 40% blend of paraffin, UV and an enhancing additive.

So, hubby and I wanted to perform a burn test. My first thought was, dang this wax is hard as a rock. As we sliced into it, it slivered off... as if you were cutting into hard frozen chocolate. It felt super dry and hard compared to the 600. I thought this does not feel like 60% soy, 40% paraffin. It seemed off to me but we went ahead and melted 64 oz to 185 degrees and poured at 165 degrees into eight vessels (the Libby 11oz straight), each with a different wick for our burn test. Everything looked promising... until the wax set. I have never seen craters, sinkholes, or peaking around a wick like this before. So, my question is, can wax go totally rotten? Or perhaps it’s me? I have not had sinkholes or craters in any of the other waxes. 

THE SB1000 WAX from General Wax after setting up for 24 hours. 

32FC6E93-4B94-4099-A213-C7FEA86D99DF.thumb.jpeg.ab6735a906be915e10c8fe686309b8f5.jpeg

BELOW FROM LEFT TO RIGHT: 6006 wax in Medium Oxford Jar 2.7” diameter, 600 wax in Oxford Jar, SB1000 wax in Libby Jar 3.1” diameter, GSW 464 wax in Libby Jar

0DBE6FE9-7635-4B02-BA5F-B82AA091D351.thumb.jpeg.a72e1010cc0314a04eba52d95c5cc0a6.jpeg

Edited by Mrs. Stoner
Spelling error

That o looks a LOT like what 4786 does on its own and with other waxes in a blend.  It is super plastic and shrinks just like that. 

On its own it is nearly impossible to cut.

candles made with it always need a top off. I would second pour those and see how they do. 4786 is a nice wax.

Thank you so much, TallTayl! Yea, it feels super plasticky. I am shocked that this is described as a single pour container wax... I much prefer the other waxes I have worked with but I may just go ahead and try that second pour to see what happens. I appreciate your feedback. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2021 at 10:46 AM, smoogen said:

I picked this wax up too in December! With SB1000, I pre-heat my vessels and then pour around 130F. Every once in a while I get the sinkholes, but for the most part they come out beautifully. 

Hi! Thank you so much for sharing your process. I have four more pounds of it sitting here so I will give that a try. Right now I am working with 6006 and doing my best to learn how it behaves... I had to pick a wax and just commit. Trying too many things at once gets overwhelming. So far I am liking the 6006 especially now that we are getting acquainted! How are you liking the SB1000 in terms of hot throw and wicking? 

On 1/13/2021 at 8:54 PM, Mrs. Stoner said:

Hi! Thank you so much for sharing your process. I have four more pounds of it sitting here so I will give that a try. Right now I am working with 6006 and doing my best to learn how it behaves... I had to pick a wax and just commit. Trying too many things at once gets overwhelming. So far I am liking the 6006 especially now that we are getting acquainted! How are you liking the SB1000 in terms of hot throw and wicking? 

HT is pretty good around the 5-7 day cure time, quite a bit stronger than just C3 (which is disappointing to me because I've been trying to nail down C-3 forever haha). Quite good at 2-weeks cure time. 

For wicking I had to go one to two sizes down from my C-3 wicks in the same vessel.