Fragrance testing

I’m curious how the veteran chandlers test new scents! 

I recently launched my candle company and have a basic recipe for the scents I’m currently selling. I’m testing new scents and feel like since the ones I already have work great, (amazing hot and cold throw, melt pools, etc) I figured that the fragrance load amount in these scents would be a good place to start for tests ! 

How do you experienced candle makers test new scents?? How many would you make and in what difference in fragrance load per test? 

Working with freedom soy, premier cotton wicks in 2 sizes- so also need them to be optimal in both jars (2 3/8” and 3” diameters). Finding also that some scents are ok in one jar and not in the other. Any advice would be a huge help!

In soy I lean toward 8% of most retail FO in any size jar single wicked.  In multi wick jars I drop down a % or 2 usually.

I like to limit variables on new FO, So one jar size/type I am very familiar with until I think the FO is worthy of more. The easiest jar I have is a common dollar store status jar - 3” wide and 4” tall.  When my focus was the annual ren Faire, everything went into a tin as that was the style for that brand. That has to be the hardest container to test with, lol. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TallTayl said:

In soy I lean toward 8% of most retail FO in any size jar single wicked.  In multi wick jars I drop down a % or 2 usually.

I like to limit variables on new FO, So one jar size/type I am very familiar with until I think the FO is worthy of more. The easiest jar I have is a common dollar store status jar - 3” wide and 4” tall.  When my focus was the annual ren Faire, everything went into a tin as that was the style for that brand. That has to be the hardest container to test with, lol. 

Why do you drop down for multi wick jars? I’m thinking about testing my 16oz with multi wicks instead of single so curious if FO makes a difference with amount of wicks?

10 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I use 6% for everything, including soy.  I may round up to the nearest tenth for easy math but that’s always my max.  If an oil doesn’t throw to my satisfaction at that % I won’t use it.

That’s helpful to hear. My biggest problem is being so discouraged when one fragrance at the same % doesn’t work and thinking “why did it work so great for others and not this one”. Should probably save time and just move on. I have it in my head that some fragrances work for everyone but I just can’t figure them out! Especially to read reviews on oils where people say they are so strong and meanwhile everywhere from 6-10% doesn’t work for me as I’d like 

13 hours ago, lisamrtr said:

Why do you drop down for multi wick jars? I’m thinking about testing my 16oz with multi wicks instead of single so curious if FO makes a difference with amount of wicks?

Multiple wicks tend to coax out more hot throw in my candles.  Less fo is great in my book.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2020 at 8:16 PM, TallTayl said:

Multiple wicks tend to coax out more hot throw in my candles.  Less fo is great in my book.

I will definitely try this ! What size diameter do you generally start double wicking? My 16oz is 3” wide but sometimes wax gets hung up and my wicks mushroom - some scents more than others on both of those. 

52 minutes ago, lisamrtr said:

I will definitely try this ! What size diameter do you generally start double wicking? My 16oz is 3” wide but sometimes wax gets hung up and my wicks mushroom - some scents more than others on both of those. 

I try to NOT double anything less than 3”, especially if it is tall, or if it has a neck/shoulder/inward curve of any size.

I double for hard to melt waxes, like beeswax and most commercial soy at about 3.5-4”. Over 4 I tend to triple wick my waxes to keep the burns more even.

when multi wicking I point the curl of self trimming wicks in opposite directions to control the heat of flames better and prevent too much heat directed T any one point of the vessel.

for some jars a wider base wick like a cotton wood are preferable to doubles. It all depends, and I cycle through them all to pinpoint the best for that particular set of variables. 

• Like 1