help with HT please

ok, I seem to be having a problem with my HT and would like some guidance.  Im using 6006 and have been curing for a couple weeks.  I notice each candle I light has no heat throw for the first couple of hours.  almost like the FO is more in the middle and bottom of the candle.  I get great CT.  And great HT but only after a few hours.  Ive noticed when I light a bath and bodyworks candle, I can smell it pretty well after 10 minutes.  Is there something im doing wrong?  thanks

HT comes from a balance of the wick, wax and FO.

The fragrances we have access to from typical retailers are not in the same ballpark as those from BBW , Yankee, Diptique, etc. the concentration and combo of aromachemicals is one of the most important variables. Adding more (quantity) of a less concentrated fragrance won’t make up the difference, and can throw the entire balance out of whack. I have some very old bottles of FO along side new ones from the same suppliers and the difference is astonishing. The performance is very different also.

the wax blends for major candle companies are blended for their needs,  with wicks chosen as needed for the fragrance blends.  I wish I could find the picture of the BBW display that revealed they use 50+ different wicks, each selected depending on the  particular candle.

also keep in mind many popular candles are intentionally over wicked to give earlier HT, which translates often to wickedly hot burns later in the candles. Temps exceed what most of us are comfortable hitting with our own products for safety reasons. 

6006 can be a generous throwing wax blend.  You may need to experiment with different wick series and sizes to get to your desired burn characteristics.

Your container choice will play into that. Jars that are taller than they are wide throw earlier, but need different care taken for bottom of the jar. Jars with shoulders and a neck can throw earlier also, and same considerations as tall as they build heat further in the jar.  short, wide tins are the hardest to wick for HT. Glass holds heat more evenly distributed than thin metal.. 

If you are getting HT after few hours, then I am suspecting your candle has air current problem.  It might be producing too strong air current.  Try to feel it by placing your hand 5 to 6" above candle flame.  Be careful when you do this.  Some candles are really hot (which I am suspecting your candle right now), and some are really cool.  If that is the case, then you will need to find another wick that would produce cooler air currents.  You are not doing anything wrong.  It's just that 6006 is very tricky wax to make them work compare to other waxes.

As for the BBW candle, these are ingredients that go into their candle.  Many big name brand companies have the easy to work with wax formulas, and this would be the key to our successful candle making.   

BBW Frosted Cranberry

3-Wick Candle

UPC#: 667553889836

Ingredients:

Hydrogenated Soybean Oil(8016-70-4,Wax),

Paraffin(8002-74-2,Wax),     *IGI 1230 Fully Refined Paraffin Wax: 10 -30%

Hydrogenated Palm Oil(68514-74-9,Wax),

Microcrystalline Wax (Cera Microcristallina, Cire microcristalline)(63231-60-7,Wax),

Fragrance (Parfum)(Fragrance Ingredient),

Benzyl Benzoate,

Sorbitan Oleate(37318-79-9,Emulsifying Agent),

Butyl Stearate(123-95-5,Emulsifying Agent),

Linalool,C7-9 Esters of Benzotriazolyl-Dimethylethyl-p-Hydroxybenzenepropanoic Acid(Stabilizer),

Bis(Octyloxy-Tetramethyl-Piperidyl) Sebacate(Stabilizer),

Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate(6683-19-8,Stabilizer),

Limonene,

Citral,

BHT(128-37-0,Stabilizer),

Solvent Red 24 (CI 26105)(85-83-6,Colorant),

Disperse Violet 26 (CI 62025)(Colorant),

Solvent Orange 7(Colorant),

Solvent Blue 36 (CI 61551)(Colorant),

Solvent Green 3 (CI 61565)(128-80-3,Colorant),

Solvent Red 26(Colorant),

Solvent Yellow 56 (CI 11021)(Colorant)