RRD vs. CSN

24 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Gosh they are apples ad coconuts to compare. RRD40 is pretty small.  I would probably start at a CSN 8. Maybe a 10.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! 
I've yanked wicks til I'm blue in the face.

34 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! 
I've yanked wicks til I'm blue in the face.

CSN do seem cooler than RRD, and don’t burn down then out like rrd.  I hope they work for you. I have a CSN 9 in a jar burning now where a cd6 was smoking in a coconut blend. 

is the RRD too big or too small?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

CSN do seem cooler than RRD, and don’t burn down then out like rrd.  I hope they work for you. I have a CSN 9 in a jar burning now where a cd6 was smoking in a coconut blend. 

is the RRD too big or too small?

This is the strangest wax.  CW recommended Eco or RRD.  RRD 40 is the best I've found, but I really need something between RRD 40 and RRD 47.  Every wick I have used in this wax results in a tiny flame.  It doesn't drown, at least not in 3-4-5 hr burn cycles, but the flame isn't quite robust enough. The MP is good, but it burns ridiculously cool.  Too cool.  I am grasping at straws right now.  
ETA:  I am using cut wine bottles.

Edited by bfroberts

4 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

How about cottonwood? When I have something that finicky, cottonwood usually give a nice flame.

I don't have any, but since I have a case of this wax,  I might as well bite.  Could you recommend a size range?  I can't seem to find a sample pack doing a quick google search.

12 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

I don't have any, but since I have a case of this wax,  I might as well bite.  Could you recommend a size range?  I can't seem to find a sample pack doing a quick google search.

I started with Northstar https://www.northstar3c.com/shop/Category/CottonWood-Wicks

They can have a nice base wide flame like a wood but a predictability of an engineered wick . I wish they made smaller size than 20. 5 or 10 would be awesome for some of these really easy to burn waxes and fragrances. For your container I don’t know your wax but I would start with a 20 because you could always work your way up. Rarely have I needed beyond a 50.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bfroberts said:

Thank you!  That helps.  I just ordered 20, 30 & 40.  
I knew I was nuts to buy this wax...LOL

Good luck! 
I didn’t like the cw at first. Now I look for reasons to use them. 

45 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Good luck! 
I didn’t like the cw at first. Now I look for reasons to use them. 

Fingers crossed. They are my last ditch effort to make this wax work without having to blend something with it.  It has a great throw and looks great in the jar, but it just will not burn with any traditional wicks I've tried, and I've tried a bunch.  

• Like 1